Old CPU for BluRay Encoding

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Mat95
New User

Old CPU for BluRay Encoding

Post by Mat95 »

Hi. My question is, can i use an old CPU, like an i5-6600K, or is it too slow, for encoding BluRays to x264 with crf 20?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Old CPU for BluRay Encoding

Post by Woodstock »

Does it run Windows 10 or Linux? If Yes, then yes.

Will it be blazing fast? Not especially.

Depends on clock speed, RAM, and number of cores you let it use. I've used a similar processor for years, but you COULD make do with QuickSync if you HAVE to have speed.
el-nebu

Post by el-nebu »

It's impossible to give a halfway correct answer to this because BluRay + x264 + CRF20 doesn't give a constant value that could be compared to anything.
You can only encode a specific movie with your desired settings and then see how fast it goes with your settings.

In the next step, you can then look for an overview of Handbrake benchmarks on the Internet and hope that your CPU is also listed there.
Then you can roughly compare your CPU in percentage terms with current CPUs in this benchmark and see what speed advantage you might have if you had a newer cpu.

But remember that this procedure will only roughly show you the speed advantage of a new cpu.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Sure, you can do that. You could use an i7-2600k, or even older.