I've started completely from scratch; see details below

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Deleted User 51579

I've started completely from scratch; see details below

Post by Deleted User 51579 »

For various reasons, including trying to get Handbrake to work reliably with hardware encoding, I've completely reinstalled an upgraded version of Ubuntu (23.10) and all my apps with it, including the most current version of Handbrake (1.7.3 x86_64).

I still currently have an AMD RX5600 GPU, but I have not installed any drivers for it other than what comes with Ubuntu.

So there are two questions:
1. Should I just chuck the RX5600? Would a different GPU be easier to get working for hardware encoding? I've had someone suggest an Intel ARC GPU. IN any event I do NOT want to spend more than $200. I am not a gamer, I'm only interested in using the GPU for hardware acceleration of encoding, so what recommendations do people have?

2. If someone has a solid, proven procedure for getting AMD drivers installed so they work reliably with Handbrake, I'm willing to listen, but without that I'm unwilling to potentially screw up my OS installation anymore with dozens of different 'experiments' in trying to get this to work.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: I've started completely from scratch; see details below

Post by mduell »

Windows would probably be the shortest path to get it working if you're not familiar enough with Linux to make it work.

Other than that, $100 for an Intel Arc A310 is a great hardware encoder... but you'll still need to understand enough Linux to get it to work.
Deleted User 51579

I flatly refuse to use Windows at home for any reason whatsoever.
Deleted User 51579

Oh and by the way: I really don't appreciate the condescending tone towards me and your assumptions of my level of linux knowledge. I don't claim to be an expert, far from it in fact, but even if I was I wouldn't talk down to someone looking for assistance.