Problem with subtitles

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Nelari

Problem with subtitles

Post by Nelari »

Description of problem or question:
I have been using handbrake for several years to transfer DVD's to disk files. Successfully, that is. However, a month or so ago, I started having problems with subtitles. The pastebin example is one where the subtitles (from the disk file) appear at the start of the movie, whereas they should appear at the start of the dialogue, a minute or two later.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
This is hard. The problem does not occur with all DVD's.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.5.1 (x86_64)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/unYfPhuU
Nelari

Re: Problem with subtitles

Post by Nelari »

Nobody has replied to my post, and I finally realized why – it is because I posted about an older, that is, non-current, version. So let's just forget about this, OK?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Problem with subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

I wouldn't classify the response as "old version, no support"... But looking at the log, handbrake is having a heck of a time decoding your subtitle tracks, with the hundreds of warnings about "invalid PTS". I've not seen so many when dealing with a subtitled video, and the majority of my encoding is on subtitled media.

Of course, I don't have my copy of handbrake reading from a DVD directly, either. I rip all media to raw MKV files before encoding them. Have you tried that, to remove any issue with the add-in DVD decoder component? Handbrake normally doesn't "do" DVD decoding, so that's one external that isn't accounted for.