Last version of Handbrake compatible with Intel Graphics 21.20?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
New User

Last version of Handbrake compatible with Intel Graphics 21.20?

Post by 000000 »

As stated in the title I need to know what version of handbrake was last compatible with Intel HD Graphics driver 21.20 for quicksync utilization. Unfortunately this is the last available version for the CPU/OS combination on the system said question is about. I have already tried checking the documentation but it's not mentioned in older versions.

Just need the version number.

Thanks in advance.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Last version of Handbrake compatible with Intel Graphics 21.20?

Post by s55 »

What CPU and Windows version is this?

Post by 0000000 »

s55 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:17 pm What CPU and Windows version is this?
I just need the version number please.
Rodeo314
Enlightened

Post by Rodeo314 »

It still depends on your CPU and Windows version.

Post by 0000000 »

Rodeo314 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:01 am It still depends on your CPU and Windows version.
7 / 6700K

Post by 0000000 »

Rodeo314 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:01 am It still depends on your CPU and Windows version.
???????
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If that's "Windows 7", you are limited to version 1.3.3. Later versions are not supported, although 1.4.x has "limited functionality".

You need Windows 10 or later, or Linux, to use later versions of handbrake.

Post by 0000000 »

Woodstock wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:40 pm If that's "Windows 7", you are limited to version 1.3.3. Later versions are not supported, although 1.4.x has "limited functionality".

You need Windows 10 or later, or Linux, to use later versions of handbrake.
None of this answers my question.

What is the last version compatible with Intel HD graphics 21.20?

I never asked what the last version compatible with Windows 7 was...
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

We don't have a record of the exact drivers for each version so you'll have to figure that out for yourself. None of these versions are supported anymore so I'm afraid your on your own with this.

Woodstock has narrowed it down to 4 versions for you. 1.0.x 1.1.x 1.2.x and 1.3.x

Try the latest and work back. It may or may not work.

Post by 0000000 »

s55 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:58 pm We don't have a record of the exact drivers for each version so you'll have to figure that out for yourself. None of these versions are supported anymore so I'm afraid your on your own with this.

Woodstock has narrowed it down to 4 versions for you. 1.0.x 1.1.x 1.2.x and 1.3.x

Try the latest and work back. It may or may not work.
As I'm sure you are aware each of these versions have mutiple sub versions which would leave roughly 15 that I would have to painstakingly/time consumingly install, manually configure, try and then uninstall which is exactly what I was trying to avoid. It's a shame that the documentation is so poor that this kind of basic information isn't readily available. Clearly this was a big enough problem that it was added in later versions. I also wasn't asking for support, only which version would work for said use case. Throwing more money at a problem to upgrade hardware and/or proprietary software isn't a feasible option for everyone especially when said machine is sufficiently adequate for it's intended use case otherwise.
OnJourney12
New User

Post by OnJourney12 »

The last version of Handbrake that was compatible with Intel HD Graphics driver 21.20 for QuickSync utilization is Handbrake version 1.3.3. This version was released in February 2020.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

0000000 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:45 pm As I'm sure you are aware each of these versions have mutiple sub versions which would leave roughly 15 that I would have to painstakingly/time consumingly install, manually configure, try and then uninstall which is exactly what I was trying to avoid. It's a shame that the documentation is so poor that this kind of basic information isn't readily available. Clearly this was a big enough problem that it was added in later versions. I also wasn't asking for support, only which version would work for said use case. Throwing more money at a problem to upgrade hardware and/or proprietary software isn't a feasible option for everyone especially when said machine is sufficiently adequate for it's intended use case otherwise.
Ouch, if the documentation is so poor perhaps you could update it with every graphics card/driver/Handbrake combination!

You don’t want to do painstakingly/time consuming work but you expect other people to do it for you?

There is just a handful of people who work on this project and they do so for free.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

You could narrow it to 4 by just trying the last release within each minor version. Start with a version in the middle and you'll have to test no more than 3. 5x improvement over the 15 you claimed.

Post by 0000000 »

OnJourney12 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:07 am The last version of Handbrake that was compatible with Intel HD Graphics driver 21.20 for QuickSync utilization is Handbrake version 1.3.3. This version was released in February 2020.
Are you sure? Crashes instantly upon start of render when the intel quicksync encoder is selected but otherwise works fine with AMD VCE.

Post by 0000000 »

rollin_eng wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:35 am
0000000 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:45 pm As I'm sure you are aware each of these versions have mutiple sub versions which would leave roughly 15 that I would have to painstakingly/time consumingly install, manually configure, try and then uninstall which is exactly what I was trying to avoid. It's a shame that the documentation is so poor that this kind of basic information isn't readily available. Clearly this was a big enough problem that it was added in later versions. I also wasn't asking for support, only which version would work for said use case. Throwing more money at a problem to upgrade hardware and/or proprietary software isn't a feasible option for everyone especially when said machine is sufficiently adequate for it's intended use case otherwise.
Ouch, if the documentation is so poor perhaps you could update it with every graphics card/driver/Handbrake combination!

You don’t want to do painstakingly/time consuming work but you expect other people to do it for you?

There is just a handful of people who work on this project and they do so for free.
Flawed logic. I'm an end user not a developer. There's also only 3 current viable graphics providers so listing the last supported driver version at time of release is otherwise trivial and so would be mentioning when older driver support is depricated since that would be part of the testing process upon release of said version. It's a much more tedious task if you have to piece it together from flakey historical data after the fact but by all means continue to turn a basic question into an argument...
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Different sort of flawed logic - assuming the development team has dozens (or hundreds) of people assigned to documenting JUST the thing YOU are interested in.

You have a limitation on your system, per what you have posted here - Windows 7. That limits what versions of handbrake you can run. Upgrading it to Windows 10 or 11 would increase that, but not necessarily help, since you've asked for support for hardware that Intel "expired" 7 years or so ago. Handbrake, at the time, supported the then-current QSV software/driver, and required people to update to match. If I recall, there were a number of flawed Intel drivers for QSV over the years, too. As Intel updated them, there were mentions here on the forum about "avoid driver XX.XXX.XXX.nnn" because of crashes.

Do you have the latest "good" driver? If not, that could be a source of crashes. If you weren't using the system to encode with handbrake before, you may not have noticed the driver being out of date.

As for "painstakingly/time consuming install", since when? Handbrake has an install, and you can have it install into separate directories for each version. I have 5 or 6 versions installed on my machine right now, in individual directories. There are some things that require different versions, due to logging and other considerations. Each is in its own directory, and doesn't interfere with the other. Each could be quickly removed, without affecting the others. Is this machine limited by hardware to just one install, due to space?

Personally, I agree that pushing the Windows version past 7 is a bad idea, and I haven't done so. But, I've also known for some time that it limits my software options. I gave up on using QSV for other reasons back around 1.2.x of handbrake (insufficient quality to justify the speed for my usage). In fact, I gave up on the non-CLI version for most stuff, too - just so much easier to edit batch jobs and leave it run for days (yes, DAYS) at a time, with no human intervention.

You didn't mention ripping disks; some people like to do that AND encode, often with handbrake handling everything, which is a pain, compared to using separate tools. Being a day or two ahead of encoding with ripping is fun, and makes not having the speed of QSV much more tolerable.

Post by 0000000 »

Woodstock wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:57 am Different sort of flawed logic - assuming the development team has dozens (or hundreds) of people assigned to documenting JUST the thing YOU are interested in.

You have a limitation on your system, per what you have posted here - Windows 7. That limits what versions of handbrake you can run. Upgrading it to Windows 10 or 11 would increase that, but not necessarily help, since you've asked for support for hardware that Intel "expired" 7 years or so ago. Handbrake, at the time, supported the then-current QSV software/driver, and required people to update to match. If I recall, there were a number of flawed Intel drivers for QSV over the years, too. As Intel updated them, there were mentions here on the forum about "avoid driver XX.XXX.XXX.nnn" because of crashes.

Do you have the latest "good" driver? If not, that could be a source of crashes. If you weren't using the system to encode with handbrake before, you may not have noticed the driver being out of date.

As for "painstakingly/time consuming install", since when? Handbrake has an install, and you can have it install into separate directories for each version. I have 5 or 6 versions installed on my machine right now, in individual directories. There are some things that require different versions, due to logging and other considerations. Each is in its own directory, and doesn't interfere with the other. Each could be quickly removed, without affecting the others. Is this machine limited by hardware to just one install, due to space?

Personally, I agree that pushing the Windows version past 7 is a bad idea, and I haven't done so. But, I've also known for some time that it limits my software options. I gave up on using QSV for other reasons back around 1.2.x of handbrake (insufficient quality to justify the speed for my usage). In fact, I gave up on the non-CLI version for most stuff, too - just so much easier to edit batch jobs and leave it run for days (yes, DAYS) at a time, with no human intervention.

You didn't mention ripping disks; some people like to do that AND encode, often with handbrake handling everything, which is a pain, compared to using separate tools. Being a day or two ahead of encoding with ripping is fun, and makes not having the speed of QSV much more tolerable.
You're clearly forgetting that all I asked for (and am still seeking) is just a version number. Apparently that proved too difficult a task for you since you'd rather focus on irrelevant pedantic aspects of my warranted criticism of documentation rather than what the intended purpose of this thread was. There is zero testing that would need to be done for my specific use case in order to list the last supported driver version of each release for reasons I have already mentioned and is proven to be a legitimate problem as proven by the fact such information is provided in later versions. Doing so also clearly benefits more users than just myself...

No need to state the obvious... Firstly, this isn't my machine so decisions based on hardware/software choices isn't up to me. Secondly, to start, 6th gen intel CPU's aren't even officially compatible with the current version of windows and to get it working requires jumping through a bunch of hoops/workarounds. The owner of said machine also wouldn't appreciate if I left behind a mess of potentially 15 different installs of the same program either. None of this is realistic hence my previous comment about the system being sufficient for the intended use case - to avoid exactly the sentiment of "just upgrade".

Now the problem with specific versions of intel HD graphics drivers I did not know about. I haven't nor intend to read every forum post going back to when this driver was released to make such a determination nor would I know to do so to begin with. What I can tell you is that intel HD graphics 21.20 is the last version available from the driver support page of the motherboard in said system. On the other hand, the intel website states 15.36 is for windows 7:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... phics.html

You seem to know more about "good" drivers than I do. Is this one of them?

You mention the quicksync encoder being inferior quality, compared to what exactly? The reason I wanted to try it is because in my experience renders are quicker and video quality difference ultimately trivial compared to the AMD or nvidia encoders and the owner of said system prioritizes speed but not at the expense of a significant quality decrease. You mention running jobs for "days" so I would imagine your priority is the best possible image quality with render time being of no concern. To me there is a point of diminishing returns and outside of differences only visible to most under microscopic circumstances isn't noticable.

Anyways, if what you state about "good" drivers is true, now I don't know if the handbrake version or driver is the problem and unfortunately I don't have several hours of time available to testing to figure out the right combination at the moment. Also, command line isn't an option. The idea was to install handbrake, configure a template and have it available to the user to just open and hit the "start" button.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The problem is, without knowing what is installed on the machine, you can't choose the "proper" version of handbrake to use the hardware on the machine. If handbrake COULD use QSV, it WOULD.

The fastest way to find out would be to install any Win7 version of handbrake on the machine, and try to encode a video. My system won't let me turn on QSV anymore (no analog video attached to port to turn it on), so I can't show you what the log says about whether or not QSV is available. But, the system you're talking about should have log entries about it, listing things like, "QSV requires version XX driver, YY found". OR it could simply list the QSV encoder as available.