Handbrake hogs up bluetooth ressource

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
PhilippeB

Handbrake hogs up bluetooth ressource

Post by PhilippeB »

Description of problem or question:
As soon as i open the handbrake application, it force the bluetooth ressource to deepsleep.
This is seen two way:
a) Mouse stop responding if connected through bluetooth. It is ok if i move mouse to logitech unifier instead of bluetooth.
b) Bluetooth keyboard will respond but with an anoying delay of 6-10 seconds. Laptop keyboard is ok, this affect only bluetooth devices.
c) Bluetooth audio lags to start, but once it started, it keep going on and in sync with image

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
Open Handbrake. Do nothing, just let it sit idle (no encoding at all)
Try to use keyboard, (rename a file in windows, or try to type some text in a text document.
Nothing appears untill 6-10 seconds delay
During that same period, laptop keyboard is ok, only the bluetooth keyboard lags
If mouse is connected through bluetooth, same phenomenon happen (lag in response of moving mouse) but if i connect mouse through logitech unifyer instead, problem won't affect mouse anymore.
So this is really affecting bluetooth device only, like if handbrake was forcing bluetooth in deep sleep all the time.
If you keep typing on bluetooth keyboard, it types normally, but as soon as you stop typing for around 4-5 seconds, bluetooth falls in deepsleep again and the 6-10 seconds delay lag is back.
Close Handbrake
All problems goes away.
I also tried to put priority fromnormal to below normal, problem still persists.

I've been searching for this problem for months now, i finally narrowed it down to this app.
I was about to buy a new laptop because i though the bluetooth hardware was kaput, but now i know its not because if i leave handbrake out of the way, problem NEVER happens.
Rebooting won't help, as soon as you start handbrake, you are doomed.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.7.3 (2024021000)
But i had started to have the problem with a much older version of handbrake befgore that. I did not note that version.
I've used handbrake for 10 years at least, never saw that problem before.

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
windows 10 pro 22H2 OS build 19045.4170

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

HandBrake 1.7.3 (2024021000)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Ram: 32512 MB, 
GPU Information:
  Intel(R) UHD Graphics - 30.0.101.1404 - (Unsupported Driver Detected)
  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti - 31.0.15.4609
Screen: 3072x1728
Temp Dir: C:\Users\phili\AppData\Local\Temp\
Install Dir: C:\Program Files\HandBrake\
Data Dir: C:\Users\phili\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake

-------------------------------------------
[08:32:26] Compile-time hardening features are enabled
[08:32:26] nvenc: version 12.1 is available
[08:32:26] nvdec: is available
[08:32:27] CUDA Version: 7.5
[08:32:27] vcn: not available on this system
[08:32:27] qsv: is available on this system
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Handbrake hogs up bluetooth ressource

Post by s55 »

HandBrake doesn't use Bluetooth and doesn't interact with the Bluetooth radio in any way so whatever is happening, is a side effect of something else happening on your system at the same time.

Some Bluetooth devices will have an option in device manager to prevent low power states. You can check to see if that's the case. Otherwise make sure the drivers / firmware are all up to date.
PhilippeB

Post by PhilippeB »

still, is happenning only, and only with Handbrake. So it is a line of code called within it that causes it.
Is this code public (git repo) ? i can try building / debug it step by step to see what call causes it
PhilippeB

Post by PhilippeB »

And also, the problem goes away when closing handbrake. And is comming back when re-opening. So i can agree with "side-effect" but i really would like to fix it.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

So i can agree with "side-effect" but i really would like to fix it.
It's not something you can fix, by altering Handbrake's code since that's not the root of the problem.

As I check, check the power management settings.

If your saving to a network drive and using Wifi, avoid doing that. Wifi will swamp out bluetooth on a lot of machines.

Beyond that, it's likely just the system load causing it to be flaky. Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Work Priority Level -> Set to Low. See if that helps. Give your system a bit more breathing room

Probably wouldn't hurt to update drivers sinch it seems you've got out-of-date drivers on the machine presently.
PhilippeB

Post by PhilippeB »

yes, no wifi i already checked that. And already tried to set priority low, won't help either.

Thank you for the suggestions though.