Dual Graphics

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
spetrillo

Dual Graphics

Post by spetrillo »

Hello all,

I have a PC that has the onboard Intel HD 630 graphics, as well as discrete AMD Radeon graphics. Is there any way to use both when transcoding videos? Right now the AMD Radeon is the default and it will only handle up to 3 video transcodes. I would love to see the Intel kick in and work on the others that are left.

Thanks,
Steve
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Dual Graphics

Post by mduell »

Open another copy of HB with QSV as your encoder.
Rodeo314
Novice

Post by Rodeo314 »

mduell wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:23 pm Open another copy of HB with QSV as your encoder.
Ever since a single instance can perform multiple queued items in parallel, I'm not sure multi-instance won't be fighting over queued items?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

You can launch different instances with separate queues.
Rodeo314
Novice

Post by Rodeo314 »

mduell wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:47 pm You can launch different instances with separate queues.
Are you talking about Windows specifically? Under macOS, you can no longer do it safely (if you build a queue in the first instance before launching the second instance, the latter will import the existing queue and happily encode the same item at the first instance, concurrently).
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Sometimes I have optimism about the angry spaghetti, and then it bites me again.

OP, use the CLI.
Rodeo314
Novice

Post by Rodeo314 »

mduell wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:21 pm Sometimes I have optimism about the angry spaghetti, and then it bites me again.
I mean, other than very special use-cases, having one instance, one queue with multiple concurrent encoding processes is much more practical than multi-instance, and the complexity of keeping both multi-process and multi-instance working together is hardly worth the development and maintenance effort.