Initial video is pixelated

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ironrod3@protonmail.com

Initial video is pixelated

Post by ironrod3@protonmail.com »

Description of problem or question:
I'm trying to rip a DVD to store it on an USB for easier access. I've tried several different presets but the resulting video is always pixelated. I have attached a GIF showing how the preview can see some of the video fine but the intial part is pixelated. I can play the video fine on my system. I have followed instructions from elsewhere about installing libdvdcss.

Additional notes: I've used Handbrake previously under Windows to successfully convert videos taken from cameras, etc. But I recently moved to LinuxMint for my daily driver.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
No special steps. Just insert the DVD, select it, and click Start

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.7.2 (x86_64) flatpak

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Linux Mint 21.2, 5.15.0-92-generic

HandBrake Activity Log:
https://termbin.com/lgur

Recording of what I'm seeing
https://i.postimg.cc/BnY1vs13/Peek-2024-01-25-17-31.gif
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Initial video is pixelated

Post by rollin_eng »

Try ripping with makemkv first.
ironrod3@protonmail.com

I actually tried installing MakeMKV but it didn't work under Linux; it aborted. That what I did in the past under Windows -- used MakeMKV to rip it then Handbrake to convert to whatever. Is that the general practice for most folks?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

ironrod3@protonmail.com

Got it; thx. But it makes me wonder why so many articles talk about installing libdvdcss. Apparently, that route doesn't work? I've wondered about it anyway since there's no apparent setting to tell the app about that library being present or where it is.