Mac Videotoolbox OpenCore systems not showing 10bit option

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
KyleMFox
New User

Mac Videotoolbox OpenCore systems not showing 10bit option

Post by KyleMFox »

Description of problem or question:
I have a few different machines, a "Hacintosh" machine perfectly running via Open Core 0.9.6 with a 5700 XT video card, a M1 MacBook Pro and a 2009 (Intel) iMac 21 with a Radeon Pro 560X. All 3 machines running Sonoma 14.2.1. Handbrake 1.7.2 on each machine.

Under the Video Encoder options on the actual Macs (not requiring a boot loader) I see Options for H.264/5 (Videotoolbox) AND H.264/5 10 bit (Videotoolbox).

My Macintosh I do NOT see an option for 10 bit. 10 Bit produces such better results with Videotoolbox on my M1 and iMac over the non-10 bit when using GPU encoding.

The 5700 XT is MUCH MUCH faster than the M1 and 560X (this is older than the 5700 XT).

Why don't I see an option here for 10 bit on the machine with the 5700 XT
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Mac Videotoolbox OpenCore systems not showing 10bit option

Post by Ritsuka »

HandBrake asks the system which encoders VideoToolbox supports. VideoToolbox doesn't support 10-bit H.265 on AMD cards (even if the hardware supports it). On your iMac it's using the Intel hardware encoders instead of the AMD ones.

The encoders are a dedicated piece of hardware, so it doesn't matter if the actual GPU cores are faster or slower, because they won't be used.
KyleMFox
New User

Re: Mac Videotoolbox OpenCore systems not showing 10bit option

Post by KyleMFox »

This is a perfectly reasonable answer.. thank you.. Looks like I may have to see about downgrading my CPU to get a supported intel GPU.