Explorer Memory Usage Spikes When Right-Clicking HandBrake-Converted MP4 Files

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
cc168229
New User

Explorer Memory Usage Spikes When Right-Clicking HandBrake-Converted MP4 Files

Post by cc168229 »

Description of problem or question:

I have encountered a very strange issue. I have a collection of movie files, originally large in size. I used the HandBrake video compression tool to convert them into MP4 format, reducing their size. There was a slight loss in quality, but it was acceptable. However, today I noticed an issue. Initially, my computer became very slow, prompting me to open the Task Manager. To my surprise, Explorer was consuming over 4GB of memory. This is absolutely impossible. I initially thought it might be a virus, so I used ESET for a full system scan, but no issues were found. Then, I thought it could be a disk error and used the built-in Windows disk scan and repair tool, but it showed everything was normal. After that, I considered a registry issue and used CCleaner to fix the registry. While it did fix some issues, it did not address this particular problem.

Later, I noticed that when I right-click on certain MP4 files converted using HandBrake, Explorer's memory usage increases by several tens of megabytes. This startled me. Upon further investigation, I found that not all HandBrake-converted MP4 files exhibit this behavior. Some files have no problem with memory usage when performing this operation, while others cause Explorer's memory usage to increase. Moreover, this issue seems unrelated to the conversion settings, as I mostly used default settings. What could be causing this?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
HandBrake 1.7.2 (2023122400)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows10 LTSB 2016

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

https://pastebin.com/gGRd8hXS

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.