I have a dual Xeon setup with 28 cores in total. How do I use all the cores (that is 100% CPU usage) to encode 1 video?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mrjayviper

I have a dual Xeon setup with 28 cores in total. How do I use all the cores (that is 100% CPU usage) to encode 1 video?

Post by mrjayviper »

as above.

When I checked Task Manager, the CPU usage is ranging 25-30%.
  • Is the question above possible in Windows?
  • How about another OS like Linux?
Thanks
Silent_Strider
Enlightened

Re: I have a dual Xeon setup with 28 cores in total. How do I use all the cores (that is 100% CPU usage) to encode 1 vid

Post by Silent_Strider »

That depends on the resolution of the video, the quality settings chosen, if you have any filters active... but I think, even then some encoders just cannot work with this many threads.

If you ever have multiple encodings, then best option would be, to run multiple encodes at once.
mrjayviper

Re: I have a dual Xeon setup with 28 cores in total. How do I use all the cores (that is 100% CPU usage) to encode 1 vid

Post by mrjayviper »

Silent_Strider wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:56 am
If you ever have multiple encodings, then best option would be, to run multiple encodes at once.
that was my alternative and use Window's "processor affinity" to assign CPUs to the encoder. Thanks
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

With 28 cores, it'll be pretty darn difficult to saturate the CPU with only one encode, except perhaps with 4K or 8K, but even then, not always. For that many cores, multiple encodes in parallel is often the only way to go.