Best ways to restore the location "subtitles" in the Bourne movies?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Deleted User 50943

Best ways to restore the location "subtitles" in the Bourne movies?

Post by Deleted User 50943 »

Description of problem or question:

I have a general question about how to burn-in subtitles with custom appearances.

I am wanting to encode the three original Bourne movies (The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and The Bourne Ultimatum) from a Blu-Ray source. When I originally saw these movies years and years ago, there were various moments where subtitles (for lack of a better word) would type across the screen, telling the viewer where this scene was located. "Central Intelligence Agency, Langley, Virginia," or "Waterloo Station," etc.

But in the Blu-Rays I have, all that text is stripped out of the video. There's no location-based typing text, but you can still hear the artificial sounds (beeping and clicking) meant to mimic the (albeit fake) sound of text appearing across the screen.

Instead, the location text has been added to the foreign subtitle layer. It's not very graceful or appealing as you hear beeping/clicking as "GEMEIMSCHAFT BANK" just sits on the center screen in big white letters. I'm considering taking all the location information out of this subtitle stream and burning it into the encoded video.

Is it possible to stylize the subtitles (either in Handbrake or my custom external subtitle file) to make them smaller, a different font, and aligned to the left side of the screen? I know it'll be impossible to re-add the typing effect without running it through Premier or something equivalent.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

N/A

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Handbrake 1.6.1

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

macOS Ventura 13.3.1

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

N/A. No activity log yet as I am asking for encode setting recommendations.