Question: What is "passthru common metadata"?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Bainion
New User

Question: What is "passthru common metadata"?

Post by Bainion »

Hi,

It's not a support problem. I'm transcoding some videos from a format to another and in the summary page I can check "Passthru common metadata". What does it do? I looked around on the documentation website and found nothing about this specific feature for videos.

Thanks
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Question: What is "passthru common metadata"?

Post by mduell »

Which of the three words do you not understand?
Bainion
New User

Post by Bainion »

mduell wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:29 pm Which of the three words do you not understand?
Well I should say that I have an inkling about what it does but I'm not exactly sure.
I understand that it takes the metadata from source and copy them in output.
Now the real questions would be.
Does it also copy creation time?
If not checked, what does it do? Nothing at all? For example the title would be empty on the output?
And finally what are the "common metadata" (as opposed to uncommon ones)?
WindedHero

Post by WindedHero »

mduell wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:29 pm Which of the three words do you not understand?
If I had to guess without being condescending, the least understood word of the three would be "common", as the definition of the word common can literally shift from one moment to the next. I would wager that OP is curious exactly which metadata the handbrake developers qualify as "common" and asks precisely which fields those are.