Update started saving videos to mp4

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
davebit

Update started saving videos to mp4

Post by davebit »

They used to save to m4v. It looks like the update changed the default to MP4. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not. I have version 1.6.1. I don't know what the previous version was, but I think it hadn't been updated in months, maybe close to a year.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Update started saving videos to mp4

Post by Woodstock »

The default has changed over the years for what to use as the extension for MP4 files. MP4 is the same as M4V, but Apple USED TO allow more features for files ending in M4V. That has been changing over the years, though.

You can turn setting M4V back on through the preferences.

Mine still uses M4V because I have some old hardware around, but a new installation of handbrake will select MP4.
davebit

Post by davebit »

Woodstock wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:50 am The default has changed over the years for what to use as the extension for MP4 files. MP4 is the same as M4V, but Apple USED TO allow more features for files ending in M4V. That has been changing over the years, though.
I feel like I'm missing something here. Handbrake changed the default to MP4 because Apple used to allow more for files ending in M4V...? I don't understand this explanation. Are you saying Apple allows more features for MP4 than M4V now?

Honestly I don't remember the last time I or someone I know watched one of my movie files on an Apple device. I just stuck with M4V because I read it was more compatible, but... now it's not? I thought MP4 was an older technology and less-efficient and larger...

The issue is that my compressed movies are in M4V format now... and... I don't know, it seems odd to have mixed file types, M4V and MP4. I'm OK using either, it's just bizarre that things keep switching.
Woodstock wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:50 amYou can turn setting M4V back on through the preferences.

Mine still uses M4V because I have some old hardware around, but a new installation of handbrake will select MP4.
What kind of old hardware? My oldest hardware that would play these movies are Android 13, Windows 10, and maybe iOS 16. I upgrade my devices months before security updates expire, but I don't know if I'm unusual.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The handbrake default used to be M4V, because of Apple. If you wanted more advanced features, the extension HAD to be M4V. Some odd hardware also insisted on M4V for "advanced MP4". I can't remember, actually, what Apple shut off for "MP4 files"... I've not had Apple hardware, either. I just know that some of my devices wouldn't see files with the wrong extension way back when.

That's changed over the years. Apple no longer cares. Handbrake has used the MP4 standard, and has had the capability to name files with either extension, it simply switched the default to MP4, if you did not have M4V selected already. That would happen for a "fresh install".

As for "old hardware", let's just say I have some that is OLD. Win7, Android 3, and my iPhone 3g died a couple of years ago. What you have should handle MP4 extensions just fine, but some people (like me) stick with old stuff.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I just stuck with M4V because I read it was more compatible, but... now it's not?
Compatibility hasn't changed. Unless your using old, deprecated Apple devices, it makes no difference which you use.

I thought MP4 was an older technology and less-efficient and larger...
MP4 is M4v. It's literally just the name of the file extension that's different. Everything else is the same. You can rename the file back and forth.