opinion on deinterlace method

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Lostless
Bright Spark User

opinion on deinterlace method

Post by Lostless »

This is just a post to get peoples opinion on what they think is the best deinterlacer in handbrake. To take 30i into in 60P. mainly 480i footage. There is no correct answer, nor is this a support request. just wanted to see what people think and maybe learn why i'm seeing what i'm seeing.
I've used decomb and bob, and the results are decent. I do notice broken lines on diagonal fine lines and the whole image seems to flicker a tad, as you would see in a non filtered bob deinterlace, but not that bad. But it looks like it has a smoothing effect where there is no stair steps where diagonals are present.
Ive also used, bwdif with bob, as the image on whole doesn't seem to flicker as much and seems overall easier on my eyes. hard to explain. but i do notice on angled edges and fine lines in moving parts, there is now a stair step effect. which is expected when half your vertical resolution is removed.
That's all I really have to say.
Thank you