How to Reinstate My License To Continue Using the HandBrake App If Violation of License Terms Happened?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Skaine

How to Reinstate My License To Continue Using the HandBrake App If Violation of License Terms Happened?

Post by Skaine »

Hi The HandBrake Team,

I'm not sure whether have I done the following in the past or not, but I think it is possible that:

1. I might have copied the installer of HandBrake app to other people non-commercially without giving them the source code and license of HandBrake app
2. I might have copied the installer of HandBrake app to devices of other people and installed the HandBrake app on the devices non-commercially without giving the source code and license of HandBrake app to the device owners.
3. I might have taken screenshots of HandBrake app and might have shared the screenshots with others.

I couldn't remember whether have I done the above or not, but I'm afraid that I might have violated the license terms of HandBrake app.

May I know if I've violated the license terms of HandBrake app, how to reinstate my license for me to continue using HandBrake app and am I permitted to continue using HandBrake app?

Thanks and may you be well and happy!
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: How to Reinstate My License To Continue Using the HandBrake App If Violation of License Terms Happened?

Post by Woodstock »

Have you looked at the handbrake license?

What seems to be your issue? Is handbrake not running? What error message is it displaying if not?
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: How to Reinstate My License To Continue Using the HandBrake App If Violation of License Terms Happened?

Post by s55 »

Nothing you've listed is a problem.

If your distributing HandBrake, as long as you provide source, including any modifications, on request and including all the origional copyrights, your fine. It doesn't matter so much if you don't include with the binary. As long as it's available.

Screenshots are also generally a non issue.
Skaine

Post by Skaine »

s55 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:19 pm Nothing you've listed is a problem.

If your distributing HandBrake, as long as you provide source, including any modifications, on request and including all the origional copyrights, your fine. It doesn't matter so much if you don't include with the binary. As long as it's available.

The problem is that if I've shared HandBrake with others, I would have only shared the original installer without its source code because I've never thought that I need to give along the source code of any software when I shared the installer.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The original installer is how most people get handbrake, even from the developers. I use it all the time, and I haven't had a copy of the source code since the last time I had to look something up. It's available, which is the important part.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Download a copy of https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake and be willing to provide it to those you've provided the binary to; violà you're in compliance with the license.
Skaine

Post by Skaine »

I think the Copyright holder of HandBrake have the right to settle this licensing issue, but I don't know how to contact them, does anyone know?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Why are you being intentionally obtuse?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You've had word from one of the people (s55) who run the project. Who do you think is necessary to be "the Copyright holder"?

Or is your purpose to test the system, not to ask a question?
Skaine

Post by Skaine »

I'm very sorry that I didn't notice that s55 is from the HandBrake Team.
I was too nervous and confused.

I'm just an ordinary HandBrake user. I didn't modify the code of HandBrake app.

But I may have given other people the installer of the HandBrake app or I may have installed the HandBrake app on other people's computer(s), without giving them the source code of the HandBrake app or a written offer to give them the source code.

I couldn't remember if I have done the abovementioned.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Let's be real... nobody cares.
Skaine

Post by Skaine »

s55 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:19 pm Nothing you've listed is a problem.

Hi s55,

Sorry that I didn't notice that you are from the HandBrake Team, and I think I didn't understand your reply correctly previously.
But, now, I've understood.

Just to mention, if I've distributed HandBrake, I'm sure that I also didn't give the recipients any written offer to provide the source code to the recipients.

Was this a problem?

Thank you.
WadeMasshardt

Post by WadeMasshardt »

Look, I'm no lawyer or any kind of expert on the GPL license(s), but my simple understanding is that the only time YOU need to worry about distributing the source code to people is if 1) you've modified the source code AND 2) built the application using the modified source code AND 3) are distributing the modified app.

Have you done all three of those things? If you haven't, I'd relax and compress some videos.