What is Google Photos High Quality equivalent settings?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
nimecloud
New User

What is Google Photos High Quality equivalent settings?

Post by nimecloud »

After Google terminated free storage beyond 15gb I resize photos & lower the quality of videos.

What is the estimated video quality of Google Photos. When I upload 1GB of video, Google Photos stores it as 300MB, for example, I don't know the real size of compressed video of Google Photos. When I download the video, I get a copy of 300/400/500 something MB video.

Does anyone know the exact settings to lower videos as Google Photos does to generate High Quality ones?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: What is Google Photos High Quality equivalent settings?

Post by mduell »

That's a question for Google.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Can you download the video AS STORED ON GOOGLE without any changes?

If not, what does it matter how they store it? You may find that if you shrink your 1GB video to fit in 300MB, then upload it, it ends up being stored as 100MB. You tossed out detail from the video to make it fit, so they can simply match that.

Google has a lot of CPU-power to toss at videos, in BOTH directions. I suspect that, if you download that 300MB video, the result is a video of about a gigabyte in space. There is no guarantee that the stored video is exactly as you uploaded it, just that it can play.
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Post by Lostless »

Well an issue here too is google has, since January, stored space saving videos as Vp9, and no longer h.264. I have found that when you re-download, at least on an iPhone, that it gets converted into H.264, which can change the file size again
nimecloud
New User

Post by nimecloud »

Woodstock wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:08 pm Can you download the video AS STORED ON GOOGLE without any changes?

If not, what does it matter how they store it? You may find that if you shrink your 1GB video to fit in 300MB, then upload it, it ends up being stored as 100MB. You tossed out detail from the video to make it fit, so they can simply match that.

Google has a lot of CPU-power to toss at videos, in BOTH directions. I suspect that, if you download that 300MB video, the result is a video of about a gigabyte in space. There is no guarantee that the stored video is exactly as you uploaded it, just that it can play.
That's why I've asked the question. I have already got the original files in my archive. I just want to keep an online copies of them for quick view from anywhere. Here upload speed is limited so if I could upload a file as 100MB why I upload 300MB, extra 200MB?

So I need to know how Google shrinks 1GB file; I wonder the output/shrunk size.
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Post by Lostless »

If I’m understanding correctly, you were talking about googles photos “high quality” setting, which is now called “SpaceSaver” right?
If so, currently, Google is using VP9 format. We don’t know what settings they are using. I do know, that I can see, from personal experience, is that they are using a compression that does downgrade video quality that is just slightly noticeable. That’s how they are getting smaller sizes by throwing out details.
You can get handbrake to make similar smaller files but it’s going to degrade the quality. It will take longer to encode to get the right quality versus size ratio. That’s what Woodstock was saying that Google has all the CPU power to throw at a video for the best compression ratio of quality vs size.
But if those handbrake files were to be uploaded to Google Photos under the spacesaver setting. It’s going to recompress it again, losing even more quality as Google photos is going to try to make the file even smaller.