Help with removing audio track

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
GeeM

Help with removing audio track

Post by GeeM »

Description of problem or question:

I was just wondering, after waiting 4 hours for HB to remove an audio track from a 1 gb video, if there is any way to shorten the removal time?
I am using 1.61...Win 10 w/16 gbs of RAM.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Help with removing audio track

Post by Ritsuka »

HandBrake is not the right program if all you need is to remove a track. What's the format of the file? If it's a mkv you can use mkvmerge.
GeeM

Post by GeeM »

Yes, this one is an MKV... I have tried to download mkvmerge 3 times but no luck...
Wondersoft has not responded to a few queries if their software removes audio tracks...otherwise, I'm sol...
when I convert to a video file, I always change mkv to mp4, so I don't have to turn off subtitles every time I watch a file. mp4 only keeps the first audio track when I convert, in this case Spanish...
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

GeeM

Post by GeeM »

Thanks...seems my version of Wondersoft VC Pro did the removal in under an hour.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

MKVMerge would have done it in 5 seconds.
GeeM

Post by GeeM »

Can't find a working download, so that's not an option...
Silent_Strider
Enlightened

Post by Silent_Strider »

One literally clicks on e.g. mkvtoolnix-64-bit-74.0.0-setup.exe at the mentioned URL and the download starts? When the removal took one hour with your tool there, then it did reencode the video as well, which is pointless, when one only wants to remove an audio track.
GeeM

Post by GeeM »

Not that it matters now, but I was also upconverting some as well. Sometimes the quality improves a bit, which is better than 720 x 480 and less.
GeeM

Post by GeeM »

I went there (the link), and no MKVmerge offered. Did you forget to mention that it's a feature of 'Nix? I don't want to download anything I don't need...but that was frustrating not being able to remove the audio without running the file through Handbrake (and for so long a time, and still not guaranteed to work) .
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

MKVToolNix is a collection of tools for MKV files, including mkvmerge.
GeeM

Post by GeeM »

Aahhhh....Thanks.
I will go back...
GeeM

Post by GeeM »

Can't figure out how to make it work...command lines are an alien language to me, if I have instructions I can use most software...but I know no code and am only a software user; I can't learn so many new tricks at 72.
With Handbrake and Wonderfox Soft I can choose which audio track to lose.I guess I'm stuck using the Devil I know...
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

What you want to use is MKVToolNix GUI, it's part of the package.
DexKen

Post by DexKen »

Launch MKVToolNix GUI, it will default to Multiplexer. Drag your source file into top, source files part of the window. All the parts that are contained within will be listed in the lower window. Deselect the parts you don't want and set your destination file and click Start Multiplexing.