Average Bitrate vs. Constant Quality

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
AppleFanBoy

Average Bitrate vs. Constant Quality

Post by AppleFanBoy »

Does anyone use "Average Bitrate" under Video when encoding over "Constant Quality"? All the videos I've seen recommend adjusting the quality slider, no one really talks about average bitrate. I like to keep my encodes around 20-25Mpbs and think that using average bitrate might be better for my needs, just wondering if there's a lot of other people using it?
Silent_Strider
Enlightened

Re: Average Bitrate vs. Constant Quality

Post by Silent_Strider »

AppleFanBoy wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:44 pm I like to keep my encodes around 20-25Mpbs
Just a general thought of mine:
What is the source of the videos you encode? DVDs don't have over 8MBit, and even a movie just out on BluRay here in my area (Violent Night) has "just" around 29.5 MBit for the main movie. Reencoding that to 25MBit doesn't seem much helpful. Anime movies often have even less Mbps.

Of course if talking about UHDs, then the source files will be getting smaller for sure. But personally I don't have experience with ABR.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Average Bitrate vs. Constant Quality

Post by mduell »

Don Melton sort of does, although he uses the bitrate as a vbv-maxrate but then allows overriding it based on a max qp.

20-25 Mbps is comically overkill for most content unless you're constrained by a downstream playback or encoding environment to inefficient settings.