Best Preset for 4K using MacBook M1 Pro

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
AppleFanBoy

Best Preset for 4K using MacBook M1 Pro

Post by AppleFanBoy »

Hi all,

I have a MBP M1 Pro. I use handbrake to encode films and store them on my Synology NAS and then watch via Plex on TV's in my house. I'm curious to know what presets people use on an M1 MBP, specifically what's the difference between H.265 and H.265 (VideoToolBox)?

My main goal is to rip 4K versions of my discs in as high quality as possible, with a limit of around 20gb per file as beyond that I run into buffering etc.

Would appreciate peoples advice.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Best Preset for 4K using MacBook M1 Pro

Post by mduell »

x265 is a higher efficiency software encoder, but it's slow.

VTB is a lower efficiency hardware encoder, but it's fast.

Apple 4K preset, with your choice of encoder, is a good starting point.
AppleFanBoy

Post by AppleFanBoy »

mduell wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:35 pm x265 is a higher efficiency software encoder, but it's slow.

VTB is a lower efficiency hardware encoder, but it's fast.

Apple 4K preset, with your choice of encoder, is a good starting point.
So presumably lower efficiency also means larger files? Also, when you suggest using the Apple 4k preset I assume that's optimised for playback on an Apple TV? I won't be playing files back via an Apple TV's but rather the Plex app built into the TV's themselves.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Lower efficiency means a shifted curve for trading off between quality and size. It could be the same quality but larger, or the same size but lower quality.

Yes, it's optimized for the standards ATV supports; you're welcome to use one of the other 4K presets and have Plex potentially do any necessary conversion.