Version 1.6.1 will not run on Windows

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
socalmitch

Version 1.6.1 will not run on Windows

Post by socalmitch »

I've been doing fine with Handbrake for a few years now. No issues with updates. Today I updated to 1.6.1 and it would NOT run on my windows 10 machine. Just nothing at all.

My machine is about 2 years old and is far more powerful than I ever need it to be. I can generally convert a 2hr movie in less than 5 minutes. Using the installer for 1.5.1 (a good backwards step to ensure viability) also provided the same result. My only recourse was to do a full uninstall via windows itself, then a re-install of 1.5.1 in order for it to work.

I'm sorry, but I don't have an activity log as this is a totally fresh install.

I can only imagine I'm not the only one having this issue. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Version 1.6.1 will not run on Windows

Post by Woodstock »

"Just nothing at all" can mean a lot of things in the install process. I've had it when the system decides it doesn't like how the file was copied. And I've had it when the system decides that it thinks a file was POSSIBLY a virus, and hides it.

Are there ANY error messages to help decide what the problem is?
socalmitch

Post by socalmitch »

Sadly, no. There is no message at all. It's as if the program crashes the second it starts. The windows cursor does it's busy thing for about 1 second but that's it. I also tried rebooting and restarting. Each provided the same result.

As said, the only thing that worked was using windows own uninstall window then a fresh install of 1.5.1
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Reinstall .NET **Desktop** Runtime 6 https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/down ... -installer and see if that helps
socalmitch

Post by socalmitch »

I will do so tomorrow and update this thread accordingly. Thank you.
socalmitch

Post by socalmitch »

Hi,
I did as suggested and it worked perfectly. Is this .net desktop routine not something that could be added to the auto installer for handbrake? This way it ensures this required item is up to date?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Sadly, I don't think so, otherwise we would already be doing it.
socalmitch

Post by socalmitch »

Not even as a pop-up advising to click a link to go download it separately? Well, I'm sure the best possible options are already being done. Handbrake is a great product, and in grateful for all that help make it work so well.
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

I had the same issue today and the .NET update also fixed it for me.
socalmitch

Post by socalmitch »

I'm glad this thread helped you. Hopefully it will help others that encounter this same issue.
fakokay

Post by fakokay »

I'm confirming the issue... No message/log whatsoever.

i'm running .net v6.0.14
tried to install .net v6.0.13 - I can't since I got the newer version.
tried to uninstall .net v6.0.14 - I can't since I don't have the installed package.
tried to unpack the .exe file to find the .msi file... there is nothing on it (but weird files with no extension).
even tried to uninstall handbrake/reboot/reinstall... no luck.

So... I'm stuck!

I think the problem comes with v6.0.14... cause I use your software each week. since thursday windows update (yesterday, 2023-02-14)... no work anymore.
fakokay

Post by fakokay »

Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

fakokay wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:54 am tried to install .net v6.0.13 - I can't since I got the newer version.
tried to uninstall .net v6.0.14 - I can't since I don't have the installed package.
Perhaps try re-installing (rather than uninstalling) 6.0.14?

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/down ... -installer
fakokay

Post by fakokay »

Rodeo wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:00 pm
fakokay wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:54 am tried to install .net v6.0.13 - I can't since I got the newer version.
Perhaps try re-installing (rather than uninstalling) 6.0.14?

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/down ... -installer
i already tried... it won't let me since it's already installed...