Colour of the Burn In Subtitles

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Bigo2
Novice

Colour of the Burn In Subtitles

Post by Bigo2 »

Hi I would like to ask the experts:

Is there any way how to set the colour of the Burn In Subtitles?

Thanks and have a good day.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Colour of the Burn In Subtitles

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Depends on what format the subtitles are in to begin with.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

Sorry Rodeo, I have forgotten to mention that it would be the common SubRip (.srt) type which of course the HandBrake converts to the Advanced Sub Station Alpha (.ass).
I have found that in the Subtitle Edit the colour for ASS/SSA can be set so after sawing it as the ass the color will be there.
Then using the mkvtoolnix it can be added to the mkv video file and after that the subtitles can be Burned In using the HandBrake. The final video will have the colour of the ass subs. However the process is quite complicated, because it requires to extract the subs from the original video, change it to ass with the required colour and then mux it back again before it can finally be processed with the HandBrake.
So I'm looking for some shortcut, which I'm afraid doesn't exist...
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

Rodeo wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:11 pm Depends on what format the subtitles are in to begin with.
Sorry Rodeo, I have forgotten to mention that it would be the common SubRip (.srt) type which of course the HandBrake converts to the Advanced Sub Station Alpha (.ass).
I have found that in the Subtitle Edit the colour for ASS/SSA can be set so after sawing it as the ass the color will be there.
Then using the mkvtoolnix it can be added to the mkv video file and after that the subtitles can be Burned In using the HandBrake. The final video will have the colour of the ass subs. However the process is quite complicated, because it requires to extract the subs from the original video, change it to ass with the required colour and then mux it back again before it can finally be processed with the HandBrake.
So I'm looking for some shortcut, which I'm afraid doesn't exist...
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

Sorry I'm not sure how to edit - how to remove the unwanted 10:47 am answer...
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Latest version of HandBrake can accept external SSA subtitles, which in theory is one less step, although in practice, all you're saving is one remux which doesn't necessarily take forever.

There is no obvious shortcut, however; although if you're already familiar with a shell there could be ways to automate it.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

Thank you Rodeo, fortunately I don't need this Burn In very often... And sorry for the typos - I'm not sawing the files I prefer saving them:)
Fraludio

Post by Fraludio »

Why are you burning in subtitles? 99.99999% of players can play srt subtitles without a problem.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

Sorry Fraludio I wasn't here for some time to answer your question:
I know that, but the SRT and many other formats can easily be extracted and used or edited using e.g. excellent free program called Subtitle Edit.
You cannot do it easily with the burn in subs since they are an integral part of the pictures. For political reasons I did want anybody to change or use the subs of the video I put together...