Series episodes reliably complete in large "collection file" on DVD or only as individual files?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
magpie

Series episodes reliably complete in large "collection file" on DVD or only as individual files?

Post by magpie »

Description of problem or question:

I want to use Handbrake to make a backup copy of my DVD box set of the old sitcom "Taxi". In doing so, I have noticed that these DVDs not only contain one file per episode, but always also a very large file that seems to combine all the episodes of that particular DVD.

I would prefer to convert only these large files rather than all the individual episode files. In your experience, can I rely on the larger file to actually always contain all the episodes on that particular DVD? In most cases this seems to be the case, but there seem to be exceptions, which confuses me (or I can't do the math right). Thanks in advance for any tips and advice!

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 Pro
Version 2182
Build 19044.1865
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0
Deleted User 11865

Re: Series episodes reliably complete in large "collection file" on DVD or only as individual files?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Unfortunately there's no guarantee. Each DVD is different, and even in a large collection there may be a disc or two that don't follow the same pattern for some reason.

Your best bet is to encode all the large titles, and then manually check for missing episodes.