CLI with visual progress?

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
phil.hagen

CLI with visual progress?

Post by phil.hagen »

Hi I am new to HandBrake. I was interested in a way to automate the video file conversion via scripts. I have a way to generate the proper syntax for the command line. I have tested that and it works fine. However, I still want to see some onscreen progress of the files that are being converted. Is this possible with HandBrake? Could someone point me in the correct direction? Thanks
phil.hagen

Re: CLI with visual progress?

Post by phil.hagen »

I guess I should be more clear. I plan on running my scripts with a command line hidden. I am wondering if HandBrake can still show what the progress is. I mean with the Windows interface of any other minimal on-screen feature. Thanks
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

No, but progress is written to standard output, which you can redirect to a file. You can then use tail or perhaps a script of your choice to monitor proress from said file.
phil.hagen

Post by phil.hagen »

Hi, thanks for the reply. OK, if anybody has examples could they show me thanks.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

This is pretty easy to do. You just need to run HB as a separate process with its standard out redirected to a non-blocking (asynchronous) pipe. You can then periodically read and parse the output, looking for percent done text.

I do this in my GUI transcoder tool to update the % complete on the status bar, taskbar, etc.

I don't know how doable it would be from a batch file because, unlike Unix shell scripts, the pipes don't create background processes (I don't think they do, anyway). You can start another process in a batch file using the START command, but you'll need another to monitor the progress.
floffy

Post by floffy »

phil.hagen wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:57 pm Hi I am new to HandBrake. I was interested in a way to automate the video file conversion via scripts. I have a way to generate the proper syntax for the command line. I have tested that and it works fine. However, I still want to see some onscreen progress of the files that are being converted. Is this possible with HandBrake? Could someone point me in the correct direction? Thanks
Normaly on CLi the DOS windows Display the Progress :
>>> Encoding: task 1 of 1, 11.85 % (81.38 fps, avg 83.67 fps, ETA 00h24m33s) <<<