'Source Dimensions' not adjustable

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
esmonde

'Source Dimensions' not adjustable

Post by esmonde »

With MacOS 12.4 and Handbrake 1.5.1 I can’t change the ‘Source Dimensions’ of a 4x3 video file to the 16x9 aspect ratio. The ‘Source Dimensions’ section does not have adjustable figures. I just shows ’Storage Size’, ‘Display Size’ and ‘Aspect Ratio’ .

My video file is from a standard definition DVD. The source video is 16x9. But my Panasonic DVD recorder saves those recordings in 4x3 aspect ratio.

Can anyone suggest why the ‘Source Dimensions’ are not adjustable, and how I can fix the issue?

Thanks!

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: 'Source Dimensions' not adjustable

Post by mduell »

The source is telling you what the... source file... has. You can adjust the output for your encode.
esmonde

Post by esmonde »

Thank you mduell.

The problem is that there is no option to adjust those dimensions. Unlike the other parameters where there is a numbers box that can be modified. I'm pretty sure I saw a screen grab in some tutorials on modifying the dimensions that showed number boxes that coutl be adjusted. So my interface seems to be showing me the source file dimensions, but no way of modifying those dimensions. I'm hoping it's just something I've ignored in the Preferences, but I can't find a way to change the 'Source Dimensions' options.
esmonde

Post by esmonde »

BTW I should add that I deleted Handbrake from my Mac and re-downloaded and installed it again, but unfortunately, it didn't make a difference.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

esmonde

Post by esmonde »

Thanks for that link, Ritsuka. I've already read that page, but maybe I missed some key info, so I'll read it again and see what I might have to do.
Roy
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Set anamorphic to auto and disable the automatic checkbox in the final dimensions line, and then set the display size.
esmonde

Post by esmonde »

Thank you so much Ritsuka.

That worked for me and I was able to see the correct Aspect Ratio on that 'Final Dimensions' line. I think I was trying to adjust the greyed out section on that line and never thought to increase the left hand box. I'm still not sure how to optimise an SD 4x3 conversion to SD 16x9 since my 'Display Size' is now showing 1016x572 which suggest some kind of uprezzing. Anyway it's great to be able to correct the aspect radio.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

That means it's cropping some borders, set crop to None or manually to zero if you don't want cropping.
esmonde

Post by esmonde »

Thanks again, Ritsuka.

No, it's not cropping, but I had to input in excess of 1000 in the 'Final Dimensions' box and thought that would change the overall pixel resolution even though the Aspect Ratio was corrected. But I just checked the output file in 'MediaInfo' and it' showing as 350x572 (16x9) which seems about right.