Dimensions

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
SouthMark40

Dimensions

Post by SouthMark40 »

Hi

New to the forum and new to ripping blu rays. After some advise on the dimensions tab I notice that the source dimension is 1920x1080 for storage and display size and aspect ratio is 16:9 but if I leave all the settings for resolution and scaling as 1080p HD and optimal size the final dimensions is 1920x816 with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1

Question is if I want to change this to make it the same as the source by adjusting the settings under resolution and scaling with allow upscaling ticked will this effect the quality

Thanks for any advise

Mark
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Dimensions

Post by mduell »

The height is reduced because HB is automatically removing the top & bottom black bars.
SouthMark40

Post by SouthMark40 »

Thanks for the response but if I leave default then then it doesn’t appear full screen 1080p on my TV it has black space top and bottom. Is that correct?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Most movies are not 16:9 like your TV.
SouthMark40

Post by SouthMark40 »

Thanks for the response so regardless of whether it’s 1080p it may not be 16:9 ie. not supposed to display full screen?

On a separate note if I only want to display English subtitles for the foreign spoken scenes what would be the correct settings please?

Thanks Again