Preset for (mini DV) AVI to MP4

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Catinas

Preset for (mini DV) AVI to MP4

Post by Catinas »

Description of problem or question:

Hi,

I captured my old mini DV NTSC tapes on to my computer via FireWire through WinDV to the AVI files. I will keep these master copies archived.
I would like to make compressed copies to MP4 files to a reasonable file size for watching them back on my TV (55" 4K). I watched back a few original AVI files on TV and they looked pretty good so I would like to keep the video quality as close as possible to the original. The one hour tape is around 14GB in size. What would be recommended preset for decent file size and close to the original video quality?

I search the forum and found two recommendations as follows.

1.Preset: Production Standard (cut the file size in half)
Filters: Deinterlace: Yadif

2.Preset: HQ 480p30 (cut the file size in a quarter)

Tried watching back both files and it's hard to tell the difference. I would like to have as good video quality as possible with manageable file sizes and don't want to use a setting that makes file pretty big but doesn't do much for video quality.

Also have few mini DV tapes in PAL same question and would a preset for PAL files would be different from that for NTSC?

Thank You

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Version 1.5.1 (2022011000)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Preset for (mini DV) AVI to MP4

Post by mduell »

Production presets are for editing; if you're not using this encode for editing, don't use the Production presets.

HQ 480p is a very reasonable starting point. Adjust encoder speed and quality target to suit your personal preferences.

PAL vs NTSC is irrelevant.
Catinas

Post by Catinas »

Hi mduell,
mduell wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:05 am Production presets are for editing; if you're not using this encode for editing, don't use the Production presets.
Thank you for the advise. No, this is not for editing. I'm keeping master copies for that.
I just want as small as possible file for viewing it on TV, computer and sharing etc. With as close to original image quality as possible.
mduell wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:05 am HQ 480p is a very reasonable starting point. Adjust encoder speed and quality target to suit your personal preferences.
What would you recommend for encoder speed for better image quality?
mduell wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:05 am PAL vs NTSC is irrelevant.
Great, good to know.

Thank You
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Catinas wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:05 am
mduell wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:05 am HQ 480p is a very reasonable starting point. Adjust encoder speed and quality target to suit your personal preferences.
What would you recommend for encoder speed for better image quality?
The slowest encoder preset you can tolerate.

The primary control for image quality is the quality target, not the encoder speed. Settle on an acceptable encoder speed first, then try a few different quality targets to see what satisfies you.
Catinas

Post by Catinas »

Thanks for the help. I decided to go for HQ 480p30 Surround default settings just removed second Audio track.