Handbrake and HDR

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Salem874

Handbrake and HDR

Post by Salem874 »

Description of problem or question:
As of more recent versions of Handbrake, Handbrake now fully handles 10-bit files, and can (as a result) can appropriately handle HDR files.

My question is a more general one on what HDR is supported (apologies if I missed this somewhere)

I believe Handbrake supports HDR10 (confirmed through my own testing), but can anyone confirm is the following are supported?
  • HDR10+
  • HLG
  • Dolby Vision
I had (originally) assumed HDR10+ would be supported as this is just a case of metadata being copied across, but when looking at an original file from MediaInfo reports HDR10+ compatibility, but the Handbrake encoded version simply is reported as HDR10 by MediaInfo. Is this expected? Is there anything else within the MediaInfo displayed metadata that can be used to differentiate?

Similarly, is HLG format HDR supported (as used in Broadcast 4K television in some parts of the world?

This is more to confirm, it looks like Dolby Vision HDR isn't supported at all, is that right? Wouldn't surprise me given this is a priorietory format.

And finally, is are there any plans to support HDR to SDR bitmapping as part of the encode process (I have no immediate need, this is just a question really at this stage).

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
N/A

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.5.1 (2022011000)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 11
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake and HDR

Post by mduell »

HDR10 is it.

HDR to SDR is already supported, pick the colorspace you want.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

HLG has got not additional static or dynamic metadata, it's supported.
Dynamic metadata are a pain because some parts of them are set to a specific video size.
Salem874

Post by Salem874 »

mduell wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:17 pm HDR10 is it.
So only Handbrake is only able to support the basic/standard HDR10 (not HDR10+) standard, am I understanding you correctly?

mduell wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:17 pm HDR to SDR is already supported, pick the colorspace you want.
ah yes, I appear to have not noticed that. Assuming switching the colour space to BT.709 would do it, or would setting Colourspace to any other other than "off" result in the resulting video to be tonemapped from HDR to SDR?

Ritsuka wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:56 am HLG has got not additional static or dynamic metadata, it's supported.
Dynamic metadata are a pain because some parts of them are set to a specific video size.
Apologies, @Ritsuka, am not quite understanding here...

My understanding is that you're suggesting HLG (which I believe contains dynamic HDR metadata), but you also say dynamic metadata causes some complexities.

Is the comment on dynamic metadata just an additional point, or are you saying because of the complications, it is not supported?

Am I missing something
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

HLG has no metadata at all, and it’s supported.
Dynamic metadata (HDR10+ and Dolby Vision) are not supported.
HD MOVIE SOURCE

Post by HD MOVIE SOURCE »

I'm just wondering how do you change the color space of an encode? Where would I be able to find that?