Recommended VTB CQ settings for v1.5.1

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
p_alex_r

Recommended VTB CQ settings for v1.5.1

Post by p_alex_r »

Description of problem or question:

What would be a similar CQ setting for v1.5.1 compared to v1.4.2

I'm only interested in VTB H.265 10-bit if that makes a difference.

Since the back-end Handbrake code changes to effect improvements in the VTB CQ implementation (between 1.4.2 and 1.5.1) my encodes would have increased in size by 10-15% (they haven't cause I'm still using 1.4.2)

I've no idea if this is due to increased quality or less effective compression (seeing as there's now a speed/quality slider) but my eye sight isn't good and I can't see a difference, all I can see is the increased file size.

Please can someone help.

In your collective judgement, is the CQ45 of 1.4.2 the same quality as that of 1.5.1, or better or worse. Is the increased file size down to better quality for the same CQ setting or worse compression and the same quality ?

My testing with values with only a view to files sizes is lending me to a 1.5.1 setting of CQ37, but I've no idea if this is better or worse quality visually and medically will never be able to tell the difference.

From my point of view, obviously, if I can't tell the difference, then what does it matter, but I'm not the only watching the output and I want to avoid having to replicate 3 months of effort before my family decide to tell me it's not as good as it used to be (if I pick CQ37 vs CQ45).

Many thanks if someone can steer me towards an answer/solution/decision.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.4.2 & 1.5.1

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

MacOS 12.3.1 & MacOS 12.4 Beta (just to see if the speed/quality slider makes any difference, it doesn't)