Encoding a MakeMKV file while minimising quality loss?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Southpaw1496

Encoding a MakeMKV file while minimising quality loss?

Post by Southpaw1496 »

Description of problem or question:

I've been ripping some DVDs using MakeMKV, and now that I have the MKV files, I'm trying to figure out what I should encode them to. I want something space-efficient, but minimizing quality loss is very important, because I want these as high-quality as possible so that I don't have to do this over again later.

I've decided to go with H265, but I can't figure out what quality setting to use. I have read the documentation on Consistent Quality vs Average Bitrate, but that only gives recommendations for x264 video, and it gives the recommendations in RF, whereas H265 quality appears to be measured in CQ. Here's what I know about the MKV files:

- They're all around 480p
- They're currently encoded with MPEG video and PCM audio

Is there some sort of formula or guideline I can use to determine the appropriate quality to encode them? Should I even be re-encoding them, or should I just leave them as they are? Does container format affect anything (I was planning to use MP4)?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.5.1 (2022011000)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

macOS Monterey 12.3.1

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

I haven't encoded anything yet :>
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Encoding a MakeMKV file while minimising quality loss?

Post by mduell »

The HQ 480p or Super HQ 480p presets are good starting points; try both and see what you think about the output quality and size.

There's absolutely no point in H.265 for high quality SD (or HD) encodes.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Encoding a MakeMKV file while minimising quality loss?

Post by rollin_eng »

If you don’t have to reencode them, don’t.