Mac Studio question

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
wills

Mac Studio question

Post by wills »

Description of problem or question:
I'm currently a Windows Handbrake user, but am looking at purchasing a Mac Studio with M1 Max. There are two options, the M1 Max with 10-core CPU & 24-core GPU, and a $200 upgrade to that for a 10-core CPU with 32-core GPU. My question is, does Handbrake utilize the CPU or GPU cores when converting video, i.e. - would the $200 upgrade benefit me with Handbrake. Looking around it seems the latest version has a VideoToolbox option, is that an option that shifts the encoding to GPU instead of CPU?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
N/A

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Monterey

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

N/A
[/code]
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Mac Studio question

Post by s55 »

VideoToolbox is using the hardware encoders. These are separate from the GPU. As such, for HandBrake, the upgrade won't do anything.
wills

Re: Mac Studio question

Post by wills »

s55 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:43 pm VideoToolbox is using the hardware encoders. These are separate from the GPU. As such, for HandBrake, the upgrade won't do anything.
Thanks