Change aspect ratio in version 1.5.1

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
sterredag

Change aspect ratio in version 1.5.1

Post by sterredag »

Description of problem or question:

I want to change the aspect ratio of my movie. It's 16:9 now, but it's stretched, when I use VLC to make it 4:3 it's like it should be, so I want to convert the video and changing the aspect ratio. But whatever I do and search and find.... All the tuturiols are about another version. So I really can't find what is said in those.

I don't wanna crop (that is cutting edges) I wanna to change the movie from 16:9 to 4:3 so it isn't stretched out anymore.
Playing with resolution and scaling just keeps the aspect ratio. I can't find anything where i can set the aspect ratio or say I don't wanna keep the aspect ratio.

Can someone PLEASE help me out here?

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.5.1 (2022011000)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 11

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)
It's not about a bug, it's about a feature I just can't figure out.
raspberry

Re: Change aspect ratio in version 1.5.1

Post by raspberry »

I'm seeing this exact problem while trying to encode and fix a DVD mastering error. The documentation is now outdated, and none of the previous techniques to manually change the aspect ratio work anymore. No matter what you do, Handbrake automatically adjusts the resolution to maintain the original aspect ratio.

I'm starting to think this is a bug, but I can't tell if the functionality is removed or simply well-hidden.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Basically, you want to change the pixel aspect ratio. There are a couple ways to do this.

First, the easy way. On the dimensions tab in the Resolution & Scaling section, set Anamorphic to Automatic. Then in the Final Dimensions section uncheck the Automatic checkbox and modify the Display Size width to what you require. You should see the Pixel Aspect field (in Resolution & Scaling) and the Aspect Ratio field (in Final Dimensions) change while change the width. You might also want to have the preview window open so you can see the effects of changing the Display Size width in real time.

Second, the not so easy way. Set Anamorphic to Custom and uncheck the Automatic checkbox in Final Dimensions. Manually calculate the pixel aspect you require and set the Pixel Aspect to that value.
sterredag

Post by sterredag »

Thank you so much!! @JohnAstebbins It's all about playing with those numbers but for sure uncheck the automatic box in Final Dimensions.

Must say I think I like this program. but this option hasn't been made ease or very clear for users.

However in the end my video isn't stretched out anymore, so I'm happy :)
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Creating an easy to understand and navigate UI for pixel aspect modification is a challenge. The majority of people have no idea what pixel aspect is, so we made the easiest way of adjusting it a function of the "Display Size". The display size is computed from scaled size and pixel aspect. So when display size changes, one of scaled size or pixel aspect must change. The "Anamorphic" setting defines whether HandBrake is choosing the pixel aspect setting or whether the user is setting a specific pixel aspect. So when the "Display Size" is changed and "Anamorphic" is automatic (HandBrake is choosing the pixel aspect), we change pixel aspect, and when "Anamorphic" it is not automatic (i.e. the user has chosen a specific pixel aspect) we change scaled size.

There are multiple interactions between dimensions settings, so we tried to lay them out in the most logical workflow, left to right and top to bottom. If the user follows that flow the interactions should be resolved pretty cleanly. But often users are uncertain of what they should be setting these values to and start experimenting. This can lead to some confusing results on the dimensions tab. I encourage experimentation, but in this case it helps if it is accompanied by some research and reading to understand what the different terms in video dimensions mean.

The bottom line is video encoding has a lot of complications that we do our best to hide, but are not (yet) completely successful at :mrgreen: