.NET Core Desktop Runtime - Please Read

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
martinbrady

Re: .NET Core Desktop Runtime - Please Read

Post by martinbrady »

rebooting must do it
nootkan

Post by nootkan »

At first I was confused between the three choices windows, linux and mac.

I thought that each option was under the appropriate platform not realizing there were three options for windows.

Therefore I download the first one and realized it didn't work.

I have now downloaded the second option (Run desktop apps) and installed.

Will installing the first option (Run console apps) cause any conflicts and should I find out how to remove it or leave it as is?
Thanks
grguthrie

Post by grguthrie »

Same thing - help?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

grguthrie wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:51 pm Same thing - help?
Are you sure you have installed the desktop runtime and rebooted?
nootkan

Post by nootkan »

nootkan wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:13 am

Will installing the first option (Run console apps) cause any conflicts and should I find out how to remove it or leave it as is?
Thanks
Well so far I haven't had any conflicts or issues that I am aware of. Things seem to be working just fine with both options installed on my laptop.
PetrusV
New User

Post by PetrusV »

mduell wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:58 pm Link to https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/down ... -installer? That would be madness.
@mduell Thank you so much! Tried every other way but this worked first time!!!!!!!
eternalflawless
New User

Post by eternalflawless »

Every time i try and download from the Microsoft site it says "This site can't be reached download.visualstudio.microsoft.com took too long to respond" I have tried from 5 different computers and have tried all version of .NET from 6.0.1 - 6.0.4 for x64 and x86. Is there an alternate place I could download .NET that isn't Microsoft?
Sanxion

Post by Sanxion »

Hallo und guten Tag,
weiss jemand wie ich diese Desktop Runtime runterlade?
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/down ... -installer
Bei mir kommt immer:
Fehler: Verbindung fehlgeschlagen
Danke für Hinweise!
Sanxion

Post by Sanxion »

Sanxion wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:18 pm Hallo und guten Tag,
i got the same problem!
Weiss jemand wie ich diese Desktop Runtime runterlade?
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/down ... -installer
Bei mir kommt immer:
Fehler: Verbindung fehlgeschlagen
Danke für Hinweise!
Sorry for my english
Fli5x

Post by Fli5x »

Writing this to confirm that Microsoft's service for downloading the .Net 6.0 Desktop runtime still doesn't work.
I can open page https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/down ... dotnetcore
I can also open page https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/6.0
But, neither of them allows to actually download the installer. All I get is an "Unable to connect" message in the browser when it is redirected to download.visualstudio.microsoft.com. By the way, the downforeveryoneorjustme.com service confirms that download.visualstudio.microsoft.com is down for everyone.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The download sites are working fine here so it's likely a problem on your end or with your ISP.
Fli5x

Post by Fli5x »

s55 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:53 pm The download sites are working fine here so it's likely a problem on your end or with your ISP.
Thank you, that is true. I checked by tethering my mobile connection from the phone, and the download went just fine.
That makes me wonder, though, why downforeveryoneorjustme shows the domain as being down... And also, what is wrong with my ISP...
Santacarl

Post by Santacarl »

Hello All,

I have HandBrake 1.5.1 installed but I get the dreaded "To run this application, you must install missing frameworks for .NET" message.

I have checked and I have both NET 5 and NET 6.0.8 on this windows 11 with a 64 bit processor. I never went to the link to download the desktop .NET file....but that NET 6.0.8 is installed per the command prompt command that I ran.... I'm not sure if that NET 6.0.8 is the same thing or works with HandBrake as the version of 6.0.4 is the highest I see in reference to working with HandBrake.

I looked in the x86 folder to see if there is a duplicate NET installation but I don't see one. In fact I'm not sure where it would be in that folder or under what sub-folder to look in. Don't see anything in my Programs Files folder that I can, for certain, identify as the .NET location either. But I did run the command at the command prompt that showed me both .NET versions are installed....although I have no clue where they reside if not in the Programs Files folders....

When it comes to tweaking anything Windows I'm pretty lost so the instructions and discussions I see here are WAAAAAY over my head.

Do I need to install another version of .NET (as in 6.0.4)? Will that work with 6.0.8 or do the 2 versions clash or will installation of 6.0.4 replace 6.0.8?

As of right now HandBrake is useless to me...I would think the developers would find an easier workaround or patch to fix this with an update. Some of us are not up to the task of re-engineering something working inside the Windows environment without causing a massive failure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wayne G
New User

Post by Wayne G »

Dot.net6 doesn't work. does not make 1.5.1 runtime at all. I updated to 1.5.1 and now I cannot even download the old version and make it work.
All of this useta be a snap and now I am learning higher math or something. Cannot get anything to install on a win10
computer. WHY DID i DO THIS TO MYSELF?
Virekk

Post by Virekk »

Microsoft released a final version of .Net Windows Desktop Runtime 7.0 and Handbrake Again not running with the new version

When will be a handbrake patch to new version of .Net ?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

There are no plans to support .NET 7.

.NET 7 is not an in-place upgrade to .NET 6. It runs along side it.
Any app compiled for 6, requires 6.

.NET 6 is a Long term service release which means it gets maintenance updates through November 2024. This also means there is no real need to uninstall it. It's still getting updates.

.NET 7 is a short term release.

Since HandBrake major releases are fairly far apart, we will be adopting as much as possible, LTS releases. This is why we will stay on .NET 6 for now, and move to .NET 8 in a year or two when it comes out as it will be the next LTS if Microsoft keep to their current plan.
dukdukgoos

Post by dukdukgoos »

s55 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:46 pm There are no plans to support .NET 7.

.NET 6 is a Long term service release which means it gets maintenance updates through November 2024. This also means there is no real need to uninstall it. It's still getting updates.

Since HandBrake major releases are fairly far apart, we will be adopting as much as possible, LTS releases. This is why we will stay on .NET 6 for now, and move to .NET 8 in a year or two when it comes out as it will be the next LTS if Microsoft keep to their current plan.
This sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the explanation!
jlmcr87

Post by jlmcr87 »

s55 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:46 pm There are no plans to support .NET 7.

.NET 8 is out

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/es-es/download/dotnet/8.0