Using Handbrake to Sync Audio/Video

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Tango

Using Handbrake to Sync Audio/Video

Post by Tango »

Description of problem or question:
Can Handbrake be used on a file with out of sync audio to fix it?

I'm not looking at anything that's specific to a particular file or that would be version or OS independent.

I ripped a number of holiday movies and TV specials a while back and didn't check the files, other than a quick look. Now the DVDs are in storage. (Yeah, I'm one of the few who doesn't rip-and-sell.) Over the holiday season, I've found a number of them are out of sync. I ripped them before I had switched exclusively to MakeMKV to rip to my drive, then Handbrake to process them, reduce them from 2GB of data per hour (in most cases) to 1GB of data per hour. Watching them this holiday season, I realized some of them are out of sync. I haven't yet gone through to compare times to see if all were "early" rips before I moved to MakeMKV and Handbrake.

I'm wondering if I can use Handbrake to fix this.

Is there a way to use Handbrake to shift the audio in my files (mostly MP4) so it's in sync? I can work out on my own how much I need to shift it. Since the DVDs are in storage, in boxes, so it's not easy to find a particular series or individual DVD, I'm saving re-ripping as a last resort.

Also, if I do this, is it possible to do it so the video is pass-through and not decompressed and recompressed?
Deleted User 11865

Re: Using Handbrake to Sync Audio/Video

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Tango wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:58 pm Description of problem or question:
Afraid not.
Tango

Re: Using Handbrake to Sync Audio/Video

Post by Tango »

Rodeo wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:06 pm
Tango wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:58 pm Description of problem or question:
Afraid not.
Thanks for a clear answer!