Trying to use version 1.4.0 with Windows 11

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Shorters

Trying to use version 1.4.0 with Windows 11

Post by Shorters »

My husband and I have been running version 1.4.0 on an hp with Windows 10 for a few years with great results. We just got a new hp with Windows 11 and cannot get anything to scan or rip. The scan step stalls at 50% then stops and gives the error "no valid source or title." We have tried multiple DVDs that have previously ripped with our old computer without problems. We originally tried version 1.5.0 which was the default download. After having problems, we uninstalled 1.5.0 and tried 1.4.0, which is the same version that was working on my old computer. Still having the same problems. I have checked that the computer meets system requirements. I tried going through the compatibility mode, but Windows 10 was not an option. I tried Windows 8 and, at the suggestion of the troubleshooter, tried Vista mode as well. Both with no success.
I'm out of ideas, and without further advise I will assume it is a Windows 11 bug or compatibility issue or bug that I cannot fix and will move on to looking for an alternat free or cheap program to do the same thing.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Trying to use version 1.4.0 with Windows 11

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake is not ripping software. If you were using it to rip copy-protected DVDs in the past, you had to have installed a third-party library to enable that. Your "fresh install" does not have that library, so handbrake is getting encrypted data.

There is no official support for the 3PL since 2009, because using it has changed so often, and even installing an OS patch file can break it. Using actual ripping software, such as MakeMKV, is recommended.
Shorters

Post by Shorters »

We have VLC player installed as , but only the player. We were not ripping with VLC.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Presence or absence of VLC makes no difference.

Handbrake contains no code for removing copy protection from disks. There are websites out there that will tell you how to use a third-party library (3PL) to add it, but that is NOT supported by the handbrake team or the "free-lance" people like me who try to help out.

Keeping that 3PL working can be a pain. Upgraded your operating system? Linkage broken, new instructions needed to make it work again. Copy protection OTHER THAN CSS encryption? Even with the 3PL, you can't rip. It's not supported because just keeping up with copy protection schemes can be a full-time endeavor, and the handbrake team doesn't have time for that mischief.

The people who specialize in removing copy protection keep up with that sort of thing, and they output files (often MKV files) that are not copy protected, and work well with handbrake. I use MakeMKV (works with MacOS, Windows, and Linux), but it isn't the only solution out there.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

You probably had installed libdvdss on your old computer.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

You probably had installed libdvdss on your old computer.