Mixed Prog/Telecine standards

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
DKqwerty

Mixed Prog/Telecine standards

Post by DKqwerty »

When content on a fully standardized DVD is mixed progressive and hard telecine 2:3 PD, is the first frame in TK sections allowed to be interlaced? Or is it always supposed to start at the beginning of the pulldown pattern?

And conversely, is switching to progressive while on an interlaced frame allowed? If so, can it be done between a set of fields?

*When i say "fully standardized", I mean an ideal disc according to book standards.

(I tried searching for this, but the question is cumbersome to search and I found nothing helpful. If the answer already exists elsewhere, please direct me with my apologies.)
DKqwerty

Re: Mixed Prog/Telecine standards

Post by DKqwerty »

Sorry, to clarify: I meant interleaved frames; I know all the TK frames are interlaced.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Mixed Prog/Telecine standards

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I know of no standards that define the parameters for how interlaced and telecined content may be interleaved. I'm sure production houses have procedures they follow to some extent, but my guess is even these would be soft rules.

More generally, changes between interlaced and telecined content most often happen at scene boundaries where the recording method or medium changes. I.e. the scene changes from CGI to film or film to video camera. So generally I would expect a telecine sequence to start cleanly, but perhaps not to complete cleanly and I would expect both fields of an interlaced frame to be paired.