NOTICE: .NET 6 Desktop Runtime Download Error ** PLEASE READ **

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mossi2000

Re: NOTICE: .NET 5 Desktop Runtime Download Error ** PLEASE READ **

Post by mossi2000 »

Directly after my last message I retried one of the videos Handbrake fails with and got my first blue screen on Win10!!
Repeatedly with various stop codes...

I had to go back to the restore point from yesterday.
Don't know if this fixed it but currently system works again...

Back to Handbrake 1.3.x and the videos still fail.
For today I'm done with .NET 5 and handbrake experiments...
Sorry.
My system has been stable and up and practically running for 1.5 years (when I went into home office) and never had any hiccups...
Monitors changed, webcam added, software installed....updated Win10 regularly but something like today - never.

So be cautious with these .NET 5.0 versions (I'm back to 4.6)
Axel
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Don't mis-place blame on .NET 5. It's far far less invasive to the system than the old .NET Framework used to be.
It is extremely unlikely to be the cause of the problem.

BSOD is typically 1 of two problems:

1. Driver issue / bug.
2. Hardware Issue.

For point 2, note, than an otherwise completely stable system, can commonly fail with HandBrake. That's not Handbrake's fault, it's simply the fact that HandBrake puts a much heavier load on the system and exposes the underlying issues.
Stoneysilenc

Post by Stoneysilenc »

I was having the error with .Net 5 issues as well.

What I noticed is when I went to the link, even though Windows was highlight up top, and I clicked on the Desktop download, it was downloading the Console version. I had to physically click on Windows, then click on the download link for the Desktop to download the correct one.
dukdukgoos

Post by dukdukgoos »

I've installed .NET 6 Desktop Runtime and it gives the same error. Shouldn't it work with a newer version?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

.NET 6 is independent to .NET 5 so no, you can't use it yet for the public release builds

Our Development snapshots (what will be 1.5) has moved to .NET 6 now as .NET 5 will be end of life in the near future.

.NET 6 is a long term service release so hopefully we won't have to upgrade again for a while as this situation is rather frustrating.
dukdukgoos

Post by dukdukgoos »

s55 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:36 am .NET 6 is independent to .NET 5 so no, you can't use it yet for the public release builds

Our Development snapshots (what will be 1.5) has moved to .NET 6 now as .NET 5 will be end of life in the near future.

.NET 6 is a long term service release so hopefully we won't have to upgrade again for a while as this situation is rather frustrating.
Thanks for explaining. Normally we're used to software versions being backward compatible but of course that isn't always the case. Looks like I'll just need to have multiple versions of the Desktop Runtime installed to support different apps
HandBrake

Re: NOTICE: .NET 6 Desktop Runtime Download Error ** PLEASE READ **

Post by HandBrake »

---------------------------

This thread has been superseded by a new thread: viewtopic.php?t=42066

---------------------------