Watch Folder that auto converts using a specified preset

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
exod

Watch Folder that auto converts using a specified preset

Post by exod »

Description of problem or question:
Is there a way to create a watch folder that handbrake watches and when a file arrives it automatically converts it using a preset?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
N?A

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.3.3 (2020061300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
macOS 10.15.7

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Watch Folder that auto converts using a specified preset

Post by Woodstock »

Not within handbrake, but the Command Line Interface can be part of a shell script that monitors the directory.
exod

Post by exod »

Woodstock wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:02 pm Not within handbrake, but the Command Line Interface can be part of a shell script that monitors the directory.
Thank you for sharing this information. Could you please share where I can go look to get more information on the command line watch folder option? Will it also support the preset I've created in the GUI interface of handbrake?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

"Watch folder" shell scripts are all over the internet. There are even a few hiding in the Command Line section of this forum.

For the CLI and presets, you have to add arguments to load the presets, then to select which one to use. How much experience do you have with command-line programs in general?
cappy2112

Post by cappy2112 »

Since you're on MacOS, Alfred and Hazel (they are not expensive and are worth more than their cost) are two awesome automation tools that can assist with this, although you will likely need
to write a simple shell script for HB that gets called by Alfred or Hazel when the directory is populated.
Daskarzine

Post by Daskarzine »

I came here looking for an answer to this also

I do use Hazel and can get her to push the file automatically to Handbrake, but how do I get Handbrake to automatically start the conversion? When the file gets pushed to Handbrake, it sits there waiting for me to manually press 'run'

Is there any way of getting Hazel to start a conversion automatically on dropping a file to it?

Thanks!
exod

Post by exod »

Sorry to poke the sleepy dragon. But I have some spare cycles to actually work on this issue for me.

So can anyone
-share or
- recommend

a script that I can take a file and add it to handbrake with specified preset?

@@Daskarzine - I think you can run an AppleScript with script events and do a command + S to start the queue
Daskarzine

Post by Daskarzine »

@exod - Thank you, sorry, I did not get/see your reply.

"@@Daskarzine - I think you can run an AppleScript with script events and do a command + S to start the queue"

Boy, I wish I knew how to do that, but I have NO IDEA!! I guess from what you're saying though, there's no way to get Handbrake just to 'run'? Seems strange that this won't just happen or be optional by default?

It seems something so simple. Set up a default conversion. Drop a file and it automatically converts!!