Subtitles turns black when using mkv as output

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
supermand15

Subtitles turns black when using mkv as output

Post by supermand15 »

Description of problem or question:
I have an .mkv file witch include multiple language audio and subtitles.

I open the file in Handbrake, and select only the language that i need, and stat the proccess.

But no mater what I do, the subtitles ends up as black text, so they almost disappear on dark scenes.

If i however, select .m4v as the output container, it works perfect.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 1909

HandBrake Activity Log ***required***
https://pastebin.com/icM4ER0N
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Subtitles turns black when using mkv as output

Post by Woodstock »

According to your log, handbrake is passing the SSA subtitle through to the MKV file. Handbrake doesn't have control over the playback of passed-through tracks.

What happens if you have handbrake render it, rather than your playback device? That is, burn it in?
supermand15

Post by supermand15 »

It's just funny, if I play the original mkv file the SSA subtitles are white...

If I use Burn-in they are white in the output file...

If I include an .srt file the text is black in the output file..
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

That's your player's choice when you're not burning in. Contact them for support.
supermand15

Post by supermand15 »

That does not make sense..

It works fine with the original file.. If i open the converted file, and attach the .srt file, it works fine..
It's only when the .srt or SSA is added using handbrake..
-Vaako-

Post by -Vaako- »

Did you got the issue solved by now ?

I also have this Black Subs issue when using 2160p to 1080p encoding.
shad

Post by shad »

I just dicovered the same issue using HandBrake 1.5.1 on Windows 10 64bit

Same subtitle tracks are white in the original file, but black in the re-encoded file. That's using VLC player.
Because of the comments here, I've also tried another player (Kodi) and there the subtitles are white. So player does make a difference, it seems, but it's still strange, that it only happens after a re-encode.

The only difference I can think of is, that the bars at the top and the bottom get cropped, so that the subtitles are not on a purely black area of the screen. The video has some originally burned in subtitles, which appear at the same time as the ones in question, i.e. they are overlapped to some extent. Can it be, that the VLC palyer "thinks" "oh, there is white background, so I turn the subtitles black?"

Does HandBrake have any options to affect this behavior?

Here the activity log.
https://pastebin.com/jjan1EyC
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

HandBrake converts the UTF-8 subtitles to SSA/AAS, so it could be that VLC (or HandBrake) is doing something wrong with SSA subtitles. Can you check if it happens only if the movie is HDR or if on SDR movies too?
shad

Post by shad »

Re-encoded a 1080p SDR movie with UTF-8 subtitles now. The subtitles in the resulting video a white.
This time there aren't any burnt in subtitles in the original video though + the bars at the top and bottom were already cropped. Not sure if this makes a difference.
WhiteBeard

Post by WhiteBeard »

I have the same problem. I have Windows 10 and Handbrake 1.5.1. I have some videos, 1080p, encoded in h265, with UTF-8 subtitles. The play fine in VLC, subtitles are white with black border. These videos are bigger than I like, about 3 GB, so I used Handbrake to encode them in h265 with quality 22; set to pass all subtitles through.. They are now a bit less than 1GB, as I wanted, but the subtitles are ASS. When played in VLC the subtitles are black. I suppose I could use MKVToolNix to extract the UTF-8 subtitle from the original file and add it to the new file while also removing the ASS subtitle. I’m hoping there’s a setting in Handbrake that will make this unnecessary.
shad

Post by shad »

@WhiteBeard
Are your videos HDR or SDR? I hadn't noticed this behaviour in the past when doing SDR conversions only. Once I started to do HDR conversions as well, I see this problem everytime I do that.
shad

Post by shad »

Hm, not sure how I've missed it before, but this could indeed be a problem of the VLC player: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=149863

On original files with SSA/AAS subtiles the subtitles are black either, it seems.

Is anyone using any other players than VLC / Kodi to do another check?