NVIDIA Decoding

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
_AlexM_
New User

NVIDIA Decoding

Post by _AlexM_ »

Hi guys,
is there a problem to implement NVIDIA Decoding?
I see there is QSV one.
When transcoding AVC to AVC, the NVENC does a great job,
yet, this involves decoding, which uses great part of the CPU.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: NVIDIA Decoding

Post by s55 »

There are no plans to introduce this.

Generally, software decoding has proven to be far more reliable, especially with the less than complaint sources that HandBrake often sees.

We previously had hardware decoding though DXVA but this was abandoned after it was proven to cause too many issues for users.
gmb
Bright Spark User

Post by gmb »

One big advantage for the hardware encoding is the low CPU utilization, especially for notebooks and slower machines. Without hardware decoding support the CPU utilization will go up, hardware encoding without hardware decoding support is poor. The thing is QS decoding isn't working either for me in Handbrake, CPU goes up to 50-100% or it's crashing....this is really poor.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

@gmb -> Post a log and we can probably give you a clue why.

Just note, QSV only supports decoding a limited number of formats. Also note, that everything between decoding and encoding is all done on CPU and depending on your hardware, could still easily max out the CPU depending on settings used.
gmb
Bright Spark User

Post by gmb »

It just crashes at the moment. A log is attached.
activity_log10248.txt
Handbrake crash
(6.56 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
If I disable QSV decoding it runs but CPU load is high.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Your system is rejecting HandBrakes call to take an exclusive lock on the device. Make sure you don't have any screen capture, gaming, overclocking, overlay tools etc running in the background that might have a handle to the hardware.

Might also want to make sure you have a monitor attacked to the Intel UHD ports as the QS implementation is still D3D9 for decode, which doesn't allow for inactive devices to be used.
gmb
Bright Spark User

Post by gmb »

s55 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:58 pm Might also want to make sure you have a monitor attacked to the Intel UHD ports as the QS implementation is still D3D9 for decode, which doesn't allow for inactive devices to be used.

Intel UHD is my secondary graphics at the moment, I'm surprised QSV decoding isn't D3D11 in Handbrake.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's coming soon-ish (tm)