deblocking questions?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
NoobageEncoder

deblocking questions?

Post by NoobageEncoder »

is there more than one deblocking filter? Like is the deblocking filter under filters tab different from the one built in to the x264 core?

Also what is set when you set the deblocking to 5 in the filter tab?

I know when you pick tunes it does stuff like deblock=-1,-1, deblock=1,1 in the extra option tab.

I am just trying to understand how many deblocking filters there are and what is set when and what overrides what. I have settings but not sure if tune are over ruling deblocking filter tab stuff or what.
Deleted User 13735

Re: deblocking questions?

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

There is a filter that tries to address blocky source, and another on the output.
I don't use the first, and often set the latter at -1, 0 for a teeny bit more sharpness.
BradleyS

Re: deblocking questions?

Post by BradleyS »

The x264 in-loop deblocker is part of the decoder. Basically, changing the deblock=A,B setting gives a hint to the decoder how to process the encoded material on playback. The idea is that the encoding settings should influence the decoding settings.

For high quality film encodes, values like -1,-1 are common to ensure fine detail is represented since you are likely to be throwing enough bits at the encode. On the other hand, animation often benefits from positive values. Generally speaking, use the encoder preset tunes or leave this specific setting alone.

The denoisers on the filters tab actually analyze and process each frame of your source video to remove the appearance of noise before feeding the cleaned image to the encoder. This is what you want to use for reducing the appearance of noise and grain and creating less complex, smaller encodes. The one-time cost is processing time due to increased resources usage.