With upcoming changes to data protection and privacy laws in Europe coming into effect soon, we thought this would be a good time to remind everyone that we do have a privacy policy.
This applies to all users and visitors world-wide.

We have made a few changes to the language to make it clearer in relation to this new regulation but fundamentally, the terms and your rights are unchanged.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to ask in the General Forum

Older Version Availability

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
HandieTinker
New User

Older Version Availability

Post by HandieTinker » Thu May 17, 2018 2:25 am

Description of problem or question:

I have been using Handbrake for some time, with great success! I am current running High Sierra 10.13.4 on an iMac, which is the system I have always used (except of course that I have upgraded the OS as well).

I upgraded to Handbrake 1.1.0 for Mac. For whatever reason, I can not read any DVDs with Handbrake 1.1.0 for Mac.

FWIW, I noticed that after opening the dmg file, I am instructed to drag the app icon into the "doc" folder, rather than the "apps" folder. Since "doc" folders are on Windows systems, perhaps I have somehow downloaded the wrong file -- despite having downloaded several times from the link that is ostensibly for the Mac version.

I have given up on trying to figure out what the problem is.

I would just like to revert to what I had before I "upgraded". Unfortunately, the only version I have saved is 1.01. I reinstalled from this, and it works. But I suppose there are later versions that might have some improvements.

So, I was wondering if there is somewhere a repository of the older versions. E.g. perhaps I could successfully run Handbrake 1.0.9, while waiting for version 1.1.1 or later...

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

I upgraded to version 1.1.0 for Mac

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

I am running High Sierra 10.13.4 on an iMac.

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

I do not know how to get an activity log, since the instructions provided do not seem to work for my system.

Regardless, I am just looking for a repository of older versions of Handbrake. That is all the "support" I need.

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.

mduell
Veteran User

Re: Older Version Availability

Post by mduell » Thu May 17, 2018 7:22 am

Support for commercial DVDs is from a third party hack that is not supported by the HB team. This has been the case for 4+ years.

The best practice is to rip any commercial DVDs with MakeMKV, and then use HB if you require further processing.

Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka » Thu May 17, 2018 7:52 am

No, you are not instructed to drag the app to the "doc" folder, because there is no instruction at all… drag it wherever you want.

You probably have a older version of libdvdcss installed. You need a newer one, the simpler way is to install it with Homebrew. Or use makemkv that works better.

BradleyS

Post by BradleyS » Thu May 17, 2018 2:19 pm

See https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.1.0/get- ... stall.html for more information on downloading and installing HandBrake. The doc folder beside the application is not intended to be a drag target.