With upcoming changes to data protection and privacy laws in Europe coming into effect soon, we thought this would be a good time to remind everyone that we do have a privacy policy.
This applies to all users and visitors world-wide.

We have made a few changes to the language to make it clearer in relation to this new regulation but fundamentally, the terms and your rights are unchanged.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to ask in the General Forum

Aspect ratio settings

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
prman

Aspect ratio settings

Post by prman » Wed May 16, 2018 5:38 am

Description of problem or question:

This query is designed to be posted on the Community Support page, if I have done it correctly:

I have tried to encode a DVD that has a widescreen aspect ratio, with black bars on the top and bottom. Yet when I play the encoded mp4 file in VLC Media Player , the black bars are eliminated and the vertical dimension is stretched at the top and bottom to fill the entire screen. This is not what I want. When I open the file in Movavi Editor and choose 16:9 ratio, the black bars reappear on top and bottom and are saved to another mp44 file with them intact. There must obviously be a setting in HandBrake that is not being set correctly. Can anyone tell me what I should change in order to keep the correct vertical dimensions (with the bars) in the encoded mp4 file?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Handbrake 0.10.5.0 64-bit version

Operating system and version

Windows 10 Home, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.431

Activity Log — https://www.dropbox.com/s/akp5zc6wpoocb ... M.txt?dl=0

Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Aspect ratio settings

Post by Woodstock » Wed May 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Letterbox bars are considered disposable, and handbrake defaults to cropping them off to save space. Players are free to re-insert them as they need them.
Scanning title 1 of 1, preview 10, 100.00 %[03:04:37] scan: 10 previews, 720x480, 23.976 fps, autocrop = 58/62/0/0, aspect 16:9, PAR 32:27
You can change this on the Picture menu by setting Cropping to "Custom", and use zeros for all the entries.