Macbook getting very hot

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
shiznit

Macbook getting very hot

Post by shiznit » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:08 am

Hey all, prolly some threads on this already but I can't find them. When I am running handbrake my macbook cpu (core2duo, mid-2007) gets up to around 88 degrees celcius. Seems pretty high to me. Is there a way to tone down the cpu workload to help keep temps down. Also this happens with the fans running around 6000 rpm so i don't think making them go faster will help but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for any help.

cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:33 am

…if you are using x264 you can add

Code: Select all

threads=1
to the advanced options box. You could also try something like 'benicer' and boost it to 20 (so your program will be more nice to the cpu).

cvk_b

TheBum

Post by TheBum » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:37 pm

Unfortunately, if you limit the number of threads to 1, you'll only be using one of the cores, which means that the encode may take as much as twice as long.

hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:22 pm

Well, yeah, doing less work will make it take longer... But that was the request, after all.

shiznit

Post by shiznit » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:42 pm

cvk_b wrote:…if you are using x264 you can add

Code: Select all

threads=1
to the advanced options box. You could also try something like 'benicer' and boost it to 20 (so your program will be more nice to the cpu).

cvk_b
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try this tonight to see if it helps.

The advanced options box you are referring to is the one in the preferences section of the program? If so do I have to do anything more than type threads=1?

I'll have a look at the benicer program as well. Although I am new to macs and don't want to mess around with things too much. But def willing to play a bit.

shiznit

Post by shiznit » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:44 pm

TheBum wrote:Unfortunately, if you limit the number of threads to 1, you'll only be using one of the cores, which means that the encode may take as much as twice as long.
I am definately okay with it taking longer if it means my computer doesn't get that hot. When I did the mp4 encoding I guess that was with just one core? It did help a bit my temps were low 80's. As I said above though I will try the h.264 with one thread

shiznit

Post by shiznit » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:07 pm

So the thread=1 technique did not really cool things off. Still running around 84 degrees. Funnily enough the encoding time estimate and average FPS are almost identical. With or without that line in the advanced settings.

I guess I will just have to deal with the temps.

Thanks for your help.