HandBrake on a Qnap TS-809 Pro??

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Kyruss

HandBrake on a Qnap TS-809 Pro??

Post by Kyruss »

Hello,

sorry for my (may) stupid question.

But we are planing to get a TS-809 Pro. This NAS runs on a Linux based System, as far as I know.
I realy don't know much about Linux, but the TS-809 has an Intel Core 2 Duo wit 2.4 or the newer Versions 2.8 GHZ and 2Gb of Ram.

So I had the Idea of using this System to convert Video FIles, if possible.
It will be on 24/7 so why not?

Does anyone konow if this is possible?

Regards
Matthias
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: HandBrake on a Qnap TS-809 Pro??

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I don't have one, so I'm just going by the QNAP literature. It has ssh access which means you can log into it. They have some sort of package management system that lets you build and install your own software on it (Optware/Qpkg). So in theory, I would have to say it could run handbrake.

On a more practical note, if you are serving critical business needs with the server, it might not be a very good idea to run hb on it. hb will bring it to it's knees. And the cabinet's airflow may have not been designed to handle heavy CPU load for prolonged periods. It's a file server, so I'm sure it's primarily been tested under file serving loads, and not heavy CPU loads.