"Legacy" Setting in 0.9.5

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
wimpel69

"Legacy" Setting in 0.9.5

Post by wimpel69 »

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of Handbrake for MAC, and the preset "Legacy" doesn't seem to correspond to the legacy settings in the old versions. The online docu appears to be outdated.

I can find no information about the single new "Legacy" setting. It seems to be higher quality than the "High Profile" preset, right?

Cheers, wimpel
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: "Legacy" Setting in 0.9.5

Post by TedJ »

Which legacy preset are you referring to? The Legacy folder contains 4 presets (classic, AppleTV, iPhone and iPod).
wimpel69

Post by wimpel69 »

I'm just trying to find a dependable preset for good-quality DVD rips (anamorphic). As close to the original quality with a little disc space as possible. The multitude of settings in Handbrake, in connection with the loopy user guide, confuse me.
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

Why in the world would you use the legacy presets? Those are deprecated to support older / less capable devices.

What device (& device generation) are you targeting for playback (computer, Apple TV, iOS device, etc)?
wimpel69

Post by wimpel69 »

I am ripping them for my 42" flatscreen TV.

I see, the legacy settings are "old" - which just adds to my confusion about the program.

Anyway, I've meanwhile settled for MKV at 2,500kbps, which produces a 1.8GB MKV from an anamorphic 90min NTSC DVD.

I just don't want to play around endlessly with the myriad of different settings. Too bad the program doesn't offer a better choice of decent presets.

Thanks!
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Several device specific presets, plus a High Profile preset not enough for you? You had to go with some arbitrary 2500 kbps ABR encode instead?

With 90% of sources, the standard High Profile preset will give better quality and smaller file sizes than your settings.
wimpel69

Post by wimpel69 »

I was using "High Profile" for a couple of rips, producing a 1 GB file from the same source. But actually I found the image a little smudgier than under my settings.
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

wimpel69 wrote:I am ripping them for my 42" flatscreen TV.
That doesn't answer the question -- what device are you using for PLAYBACK. Is this a PC hooked up to your TV, or an AppleTV, or one of any number of devices that can output to TV?

If and only if you're using a computer hooked up to the TV, try pasting this settings string into the "Current x264 Advanced Options String" box:

Code: Select all

ref=4:bframes=4:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:me=umh:subq=9:rc-lookahead=60:psy-rd=1.0,0.25:deblock=-2,-2:analyse=all
Then select "Constant Quality" on the first settings tab and set it to around 18.5.

That should give you practically the same quality as the source DVD at reasonable file sizes. Your arbitrary use of average bitrate encoding is doing you no favors.
wimpel69

Post by wimpel69 »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am using a dlink Boxee Box connected to my flatscreen TV.
wimpel69

Post by wimpel69 »

I've applied those settings, and they seem to work nicely. Thanks!