Would love to encode with x264 but ...

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
kerrala

Would love to encode with x264 but ...

Post by kerrala »

My Mac Mini G4 1.62 512 Ram really struggles. It's starts to get really noisy so I end up turning it off.

Does anyone else have this issue with computer oomph?

Will it be ok if I go and upgrade the ram?

I can encode fine with the ffmeg encoder albeit taking a while on the old two pass. It's brilliant for watching films on my windows laptop on the go but would like to use this mac as a movie server eventually and would like the opportunity to access H264.

James
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

i dont see how not enough ram can be linked to a noisy machine? from what i ready i think your CPU is working hard, which means temperatures go up, and the machine needs to cool itself down to be in operable temperatures by setting the RPMs on the fans up.

this generates higher airflow to blow out the hot air and suck in fresh room temperature air.

the main component that gets hit hard when encoding is the CPU. not sure if this answers your question, but you should try explain more in detail what your real problem is what you want solved, then maybe someone can help.

thanks.
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

kerrala, remember the racer's old adage: Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
kerrala

Post by kerrala »

Sorry it's not speed i am bothered about but when encoding with x264 my machine sounds like it's struggling.

I realize the CPU is working harder, and understand fans etc but thought my spec was o.k. I am asking in short is it not or does anyone else have same experience with similar set up?

Also, surely RAM does come into it along with the CPU?

James
sidechain

Post by sidechain »

i bought a used imac intel core duo 1.83 it ripps in real time $750.00 including shipping - ebay!