AppleTV 2nd generation but turn off CABAC

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
discless
Enlightened

AppleTV 2nd generation but turn off CABAC

Post by discless »

Is there a way to select the AppleTV 2nd generation setting, but turn off CABAC, so that it uses CAVLC coding instead? Thank you.
Deleted User 11865

Re: AppleTV 2nd generation but turn off CABAC

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Yes. Steps:

1) select the AppleTV 2 preset

2) disable CABAC

3) (optional) save your custom preset
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

I am trying it now: Thank you!
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Rodeo wrote:Yes. Steps:

1) select the AppleTV 2 preset

2) disable CABAC

3) (optional) save your custom preset
4) Profit.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

How can I use the AppleTV 2nd generation setting and turn off B frames?

The options under Advanced for B frames are a bit more challenging that just turning off CABAC.

Do I turn both Pyramidal and Adaptive off?

Thank you!
Deleted User 11865

Why would you need to do such a thing?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

discless wrote:How can I use the AppleTV 2nd generation setting and turn off B frames?

The options under Advanced for B frames are a bit more challenging that just turning off CABAC.

Thank you!
Just set bframes to 0 and don't worry about the rest... however this thread is becoming more insane by the post.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

mduell wrote:
discless wrote:How can I use the AppleTV 2nd generation setting and turn off B frames?

Thank you!
Just set bframes to 0 and don't worry about the rest... however this thread is becoming more insane by the post. [emphasis added]
Thank you for the tip to set to 0.

Before I decide if I should be insulted by your comment, are you an "official" moderator here, mduell; or just some kind-hearted lurker who speaks before he thinks?
Deleted User 11865

discless wrote:Before I decide if I should be insulted by your comment, are you an "official" moderator here, mduell; or just some kind-hearted lurker who speaks before he thinks?
Moderators and developers have their nicks in different colors (green and a different shade of blue, respectively).

Still, why do you feel you need to turn off bframes when targeting the AppleTV 2?
discless
Enlightened

Playing Max quality file on AppleTV 2 and modified AppleTV 1

Post by discless »

Rodeo wrote:Why would you need to do such a thing?
Rodeo: thank you for all of your continued assistance!

I am creating a so-called AppleTV 1.5 default setting:

I own two AppleTVs: A 2nd Generation and a 1st Generation "modified" to include:

a) AFP, so that I can move files directly to the AppleTV Classic's hard disk;

b) ATVFiles - so that I can play these files; and

c) Perian, so that its Quicktime will play an extended range of transcoded files.

I also own a Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 HD digitizing encoder, which outputs files in m2ts containers.

My aim is to transcode the HD output of the HD-PVR so as to obtain the maximum quality afforded by the AppleTV 2 setting, while being able to continue to play the same file on my "modified" AppleTV Classic.

Turning off CABAC and B-Frames has achieved this result. There is no loss of quality from the AppleTV 2 setting; only an increase in the resultant file size. So, for example, my AppleTV Classic will now play 720p@30fps files, created by this AppleTV 1.5 default setting, as well. AND: although I have not tested it yet, these files may actually play in a stock, unmodifed AppleTV Classic using the so-called "fool iTunes" trick:

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/How_to_g ... o_Apple_TV

Thank you again...
discless
Enlightened

setting maximum resolution

Post by discless »

I need one more change to get this to work on the AppleTV Classic without the "fool iTunes" trick:

How can I set it so that the maximum resolution is automatically always 960 x 540 when the fps rate is > 25? Thanks!
Deleted User 11865

Re: setting maximum resolution

You can't. Else the AppleTV preset would already be using it.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

Rodeo wrote:You can't. Else the AppleTV preset would already be using it.
The original AppleTV preset does indeed have it: Feed it 1280x720@30fps and you will get 960x540 output. Feed it 1280x720@24fps and you will get 1280x720 output.

So what modification do I need to do to the AppleTV2 preset to get the same results?

See this forum comment:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19344&p=89062&hilit ... 540#p89071
Deleted User 11865

discless wrote:
Rodeo wrote:You can't. Else the AppleTV preset would already be using it.
The original AppleTV preset does indeed have it: Feed it 1280x720@30fps and you will get 960x540 output. Feed it 1280x720@24fps and you will get 1280x720 output.

So what modification do I need to do to the AppleTV2 preset to get the same results?
So you make claims without even testing that they're correct? The AppleTV preset has a max. width of 960 pixels, period.

Thanks for wasting our time.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

Yes, indeed, I mis-spoke...

Let me restate the question:

How do I modify the AppleTV(2) preset so that it always limits the resolution to a max. width of 960 pixels; as does the AppleTV(1) preset. Thank you!
Tree Dude
Enlightened

Post by Tree Dude »

discless wrote:Yes, indeed, I mis-spoke...

Let me restate the question:

How do I modify the AppleTV(2) preset so that it always limits the resolution to a max. width of 960 pixels; as does the AppleTV(1) preset. Thank you!
First set a source. From the picture tab set anamorphic to none, check keep aspect ratio, and put 960 in the width field. Now save the preset.
Deleted User 11865

Tree Dude wrote:First set a source. From the picture tab set anamorphic to none, check keep aspect ratio, and put 960 in the width field. Now save the preset.
That's not how the AppleTV preset does it. The AppleTV preset uses anamorphic Loose.

In order to replicate the AppleTV preset's width limit:

1) set anamorphic to Loose in the picture settings window (if it's not already)

2) create a new preset (the width set in the picture tab is irrelevant)

3) in the save preset dialog, set "Use picture size" to custom, then set width to 960 and height to 0*

4) save the preset

* 0 means that no limit is imposed on height; if you want to limit the height as well, set the height to the desired value
discless
Enlightened

setting maximum resolution

Post by discless »

So Kewl!

THANKS!
discless
Enlightened

Re: Playing Max quality file on AppleTV 2 and modified Apple

Post by discless »

discless wrote:My aim is to transcode the HD output of the HD-PVR so as to obtain the maximum quality afforded by the AppleTV 2 setting, while being able to continue to play the same file on [the] AppleTV Classic.
Philosophical question; no need to reply if too busy!

Curious -- after going through all of this effort, does this new Preset actually provide any better quality than using the default AppleTV (1) setting on original 1280x720 files for playback on both versions of the AppleTV?

Given that you are always improving Handbrake, I suspect that it is:

AppleTV2 setting

1. Turn off CABAC

2. Turn off B-Frames

3. With Loose Anamorphic, adjust the "Use picture size" to 960x0 in a New Preset.

Thanks, as always...
Deleted User 11865

The preset you described is not compatible with the unmodified original AppleTV.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

Rodeo wrote:The preset you described is not compatible with the unmodified original AppleTV.
Yet, these videos are synced by iTunes and play on the unmodified original AppleTV.

Maybe this modification to the AppleTV2 setting is an undocumented boost to the quality of files that can play on the original AppleTV.

What settings do you think need to be altered...?
Deleted User 11865

discless wrote:
Rodeo wrote:The preset you described is not compatible with the unmodified original AppleTV.
Yet, these videos are synced by iTunes and play on the unmodified original AppleTV.
We don't need more of your [Censored]. Your AppleTV is modified, you said so yourself:
discless wrote:I own two AppleTVs: A 2nd Generation and a 1st Generation "modified" to include:

a) AFP, so that I can move files directly to the AppleTV Classic's hard disk;

b) ATVFiles - so that I can play these files; and

c) Perian, so that its Quicktime will play an extended range of transcoded files.
weightp will cause severe visual artifacts during playback; it's enabled in the AppleTV 2 preset and isn't disabled by the modifications you outlined.

Of course this doesn't happen for you since you're using a third-party software H.264 decoder (part of Perian) on your modified AppleTV.

Enough is enough; I've had it with you. Locking.
Last edited by Deleted User 11865 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix boneheaded statement; disabling b-frames does disable b-pyramid