Missing "Target Size" option

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Werner

Missing "Target Size" option

Post by Werner »

Hi,

Has the Target Size option under the Video tab been permanently removed from the GUI interface? Its not available when using the last couple of daily builds... how would you now set a fixed target size for output?

Werner
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Missing "Target Size" option

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Yes. It has been removed. There were numerous circumstances where it didn't work correctly. And we plan to add features that would make it even more unreliable (VBR audio). So to simplify our lives, we axed it.

This deceptively simple formula will get you close.
total bitrate = target size / duration

Divvy up the total bitrate between your audio and video tracks.
Werner

Post by Werner »

Thanks John. I'm working my way through some of the old threads on the topic now, so apologies for double posting :)
skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

I'm using the latest version of Handbrake (just downloaded it 2 days ago on another PC of mine) and I still have the "target size" option in mine - I use it all the time and it works great. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about...
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

They're talking about the nightly builds; not 0.9.5, which you have.

Don't use target file size unless you want to waste space (in some cases) or sacrifice quality (in others). If you're playing back video on a device with no bandwidth/filesize limitations, always go with CRF for the best quality with the least waste.
skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Oh sorry, didn't realize. However, selecting target size on my CSI episodes as 900 mb, for example, actually creates near perfect video quality for me. You're saying, I should be checking the constant quality instead? That will give me the same results in a smaller file? What should I set it to, if that's the case? I'm still trying to get the same picture quality on Friends episodes and selecting the target size just isn't giving me the same results. :(