Presets & Subtitles

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
rjsherman1

Presets & Subtitles

Post by rjsherman1 »

I was wondering if there is a way to define a preset with a subtitle option pre-selected? i.e. I have been finding enough movies that have subtitles, that HandBrake doesn't seem to know how to deal with, unless I select the "Foreign Audio Search" ... so ... I wanted to configure a pre-set with that option pre-selected. So, I chose it - and saved a preset.

closed / re-opened Handbrake, but when I selected my preset the option was not selected?

is there a 'kind-of-magic' for this feature?
MikeEckman

Re: Presets & Subtitles

Post by MikeEckman »

I dont think so. I would imagine it would be very hard to create a preset that would tell Handbrake to just "know" which subtitle stream you wanted to use. Assuming you are ripping from a DVD, the subtitle language you want could be bundled with other languages or trivia tracks, or even closed captioning tracks.

Even if Handbrake did allow some type of "auto detect" for subtitles, I woudlnt trust it to always get the correct track. I've done over 750 rips in Handbrake and I've manually selected the subtitle track I wanted on all of them.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

MikeEckman wrote:I dont think so. I would imagine it would be very hard to create a preset that would tell Handbrake to just "know" which subtitle stream you wanted to use. Assuming you are ripping from a DVD, the subtitle language you want could be bundled with other languages or trivia tracks, or even closed captioning tracks.
Correct - that's why it's not supported. Subtitles are not saved in presets.
imahawki

Post by imahawki »

I'm confused, why would it be hard? If I have an english movie with a bit of foreign dialog, all I do is select foreign audio search -> forced only -> burn in. Why can't I save that in a preset? If there is no foreign audio nothing would happen, right?
MadderThanMad

Post by MadderThanMad »

I think there should be some sort of "advanced preset" option that allows me to force save subtitle selections. I understand the reasons for not making this the default behavior but there are use cases where even a "dumb" implementation of this option would yield a huge time savings.

For example, I recently ripped and encoded my entire Sopranos box set. As is usually the case with box sets, each disc had the exact same subtitle structure. In this case a saved subtitle selection wouldn't need any clever tricks to "know" what I want. I could have chosen the subtitles I want on disc 1 episode 1 and applied that same exact selection to all subsequent discs. Instead, for each disc I had to add foreign audio search, burn in, add english, set as default and turn burn in off. It doesn't take long to do once but when you're looking at nearly 90 episodes it adds up.

My next task is to do this same ripping with all 21 seasons of Simpsons and if I could bake in subtitles it would probably save me hours of time.