[Accepted] PGS (BD subtitles) support

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

nadavvadan

[Accepted] PGS (BD subtitles) support

Post by nadavvadan »

Hi there, i have just went to ffmpeg's home page and seen this:
March 1, 2010
We have been busy over the past few months. Among other things, the results are an Indeo 5 video decoder as well as audio decoders for AMR-NB, Sipro, MPEG-4 ALS and WMA Voice, complete support for Bink, CDG and IFF PBM/ILBM bitmaps, an RTSP muxer, Bluray (PGS) subtitle support, a protocol for file concatenation and the ffprobe tool for extracting information from multimedia files.
so, now that ffmpeg supports PGS, is it possible to be able to read PGS streams from m2ts files and convert them into SUB/IDX or just SUB?
otherwise, you have to demux the PGS stream(s) from the m2ts file, then use a 3rd party application (bdsup2sub, source code available here) to convert it to sub, then encode the video and mux the sub stream(s) into the container.
not only does this muxing/remuxing thing take a lot of time, it also requires you to have a lot of space available in order to be done.

thanks.
kbyrd

Re: PGS (BD subtitles) support

Post by kbyrd »

I'd vote for this as well.

I'm increasingly using handbrake for m2ts files.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Features in hb are not decided upon by a vote system. If a developer chooses to implement it then it will get implemented. Otherwise patches are always welcome.
nadavvadan

Post by nadavvadan »

[bump]
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Bumping doesn't make a feature request higher priority nor does it encourage anyone to implement it.
You'll just need to wait until a developer takes interest in such a feature.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

nadavvadan wrote:[bump]
Do NOT bump threads.

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6702

Rule 5.
ianken

Post by ianken »

Having just dealt with doing some BRD rips with subs, I'd love this. The ability to either burn in or mux in PGS subs would be welcome.
forumator

Re: [Accepted] PGS (BD subtitles) support

Post by forumator »

Not trying to bump, just curious why not request PGS passthru instead of converting to another format? Is there a significant downside to putting the PGS/SUP file in an MKV container (which I already do just not with Handbrake obviously)
alehel
Experienced

Post by alehel »

forumator wrote:Not trying to bump, just curious why not request PGS passthru instead of converting to another format? Is there a significant downside to putting the PGS/SUP file in an MKV container (which I already do just not with Handbrake obviously)
At the moment PGS is not well supported. VLC can display them, but the subtitles tend to stay on screen for way to long.

[EDIT] Well, I just tested the newest release and I'm happy to say that it seems like VLC now fully supports PGS. Worked flawlessly for the first time for me when playing back my Resident Evil: Afterlife blu-ray.
vdmsss

Post by vdmsss »

I would be very interested in integrating subtitles from MPEGTS files from DVB HDTV broadcasts. Are they the same format as the BD ones?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

vdmsss wrote:I would be very interested in integrating subtitles from MPEGTS files from DVB HDTV broadcasts. Are they the same format as the BD ones?
No.